Fishing With A Soldier UPDATE 5-2-2011

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBigDog

Reaction score
We tried to put together a fishing day with "Soldiers" as a way of giving something back .... but it turns out the "Take A Soldier Fishing" organization and it's figure head had some back round I didn't know about tilll just recently.

So now we are gonna try it again ... but this time WE are the organization YES !!!
and I would like your ideas on Where, When, and What soldiers to work on inviting.
Please post your thoughts here, or send them to my personal E-Mail address: [email protected] and please help me make this happen.

Thank you in advance for your time and help with this worthy cause .. remember ..

"Freedom Isn't Free"

Rich
AKA SF Big Dog

Contact your local military units and ask them the same questions. They will know whom within thier ranks are most deserving and most likely to attend.

Local VFW and VA Hospital to. Somewhere around you they should have a disabled veterans assisted living facility, ours is right close to the VA hosp. Your thoughts are appriciated!

dougdad said:
Local VFW and VA Hospital to. Somewhere around you they should have a disabled veterans assisted living facility, ours is right close to the VA hosp. Your thoughts are appriciated!

Thanks Doug .... and Thank You for your service

Rich
SF Big Dog

After sampleling 5-6 fishing web sites .... the majority vote is for having this event at Lake Douglas .... Close to Knoxville.

Now all we have to do is agree on, and set a date, and I'll go get us some "Soldier's" to fish with.

Everyone please check your calendars ..... and post a note here (Or at my e-mail: [email protected]) of a realistic date we can do this.

Thank You EVERYONE !!!!!

Rich
SF Big Dog

I'm sorry guys but I can not allow this event to happen.........without helping out in any way I can. I am a self proclaimed "biggest fan of our troops" that exists. Please let me know if you need any banners and so forth. I believe in the cause and I am more than willing to help.

bulldog said:
I'm sorry guys but I can not allow this event to happen.........without helping out in any way I can. I am a self proclaimed "biggest fan of our troops" that exists. Please let me know if you need any banners and so forth. I believe in the cause and I am more than willing to help.

Good evening bulldog ...

YOU are the MAN .... Thank you Sir for stepping up to the plate, and offering to help with a very worthy cause.
I don't see any immediate needs for banners and such .... just people and boats to put soldiers in .... for a fun day of fellowship amoung ourselves and our "Nation's Finest" Will be posting more info soon .... and will PM you.

Thank you again Sir

Rich
SF Big Dog

Again ...
After asking these questions, and getting input from fishermen accross 4-5 different fishing web sites, we now have a place and a date ... and the list of volunteers is slowly growing .... but growing.

This "Fishing With A Soldier" event will be held @ Douglas Lake close to Knoxville TN and will be held on

Saturday May 21st, 2011 Armed Forces Day

I ask you again .... to PLEASE check your calendars .... and if you can volunteer to bring your boat to Douglas Lake, and spend a day fishing with a soldier .... we need you and it would be appreciated.

"WE WILL PROVIDE THE SOLDIER"

A bit too far for me to travel since I live in WI. However I felt I had to post and say that it is a great idea and I am sure it will be greatly appreciated by those who deserve a good day fishing. Afterall they help protect our freedom to allow us to spend a day on the lake and hopefully catch some fish in the process.

If you feel you might be short a few fishing boats, send a message to a local TV news station. This is a story I am sure they will be honored to broadcast.

Thanks to all who served.

Matt

MattR said:
A bit too far for me to travel since I live in WI. However I felt I had to post and say that it is a great idea and I am sure it will be greatly appreciated by those who deserve a good day fishing. Afterall they help protect our freedom to allow us to spend a day on the lake and hopefully catch some fish in the process.

If you feel you might be short a few fishing boats, send a message to a local TV news station. This is a story I am sure they will be honored to broadcast.

Thanks to all who served.

Matt

Good afternoon Matt ...
I just wanted to take a few minutes to say Thank You for taking the time to read about this event, and more so, to make a possitive post about it as you see it. There is no doubt in my mind that if you were closer, you would be right there with us .... Thanks buddy.

Rich
SF Big Dog

Yes I would, if closer.

One thought I had since posting a bit ago. If somebody was close enough with a pontoon boat, could possibly even offer a day of fishing to disabled vets as well. Just a thought.

Matt

If you haven't already done so, check out GON (Georgia Outdoor News). You may be able to recruit some of the guys in North GA to help out, and I assume you've contacted all of the local guides? I would like to think that many would like to support your efforts.

Good on you.

Brine said:
If you haven't already done so, check out GON (Georgia Outdoor News). You may be able to recruit some of the guys in North GA to help out, and I assume you've contacted all of the local guides? I would like to think that many would like to support your efforts.

Good on you.

No Sir ...
That thought has NOT occured to me at all .... Thank you so much.
This is the first event I have ever spearheaded ... and there are no rules or check lists .... Just great people like you, coming up with GREAT ideas like this one.

Thank you so much again

Rich
SF Big Dog

For those that want to participate, but live too far away from THIS event....here's your chance to do so. I just found this and will be signing up.

https://www.flwoutdoors.com/community/wounded-heroes/

nathanielrthomas said:
Im an active duty sailor in Memphis. Anything I can do to help? I have a boat

Good afternoon ....

And Thank You for your service.
Actually this event is designed to try to do something nice for ALL OF YOU ..... however, if you feel you can make the trip to Lake Douglas ... just outside Knoxville on 21 May (Armed Forces Day) we would be proud to have you there. Right now I have 2 volunteers coming to help that don't have boats.

Please let me know what you think .... Thank you for jumping in and stepping up to the plate ... even though you have done so much already. We are proud of you guys.

Rich / SF Big Dog

I just retired from the AF last year. In 2002 a group invited my buddies and me on one of these in Miami. I can tell you, we really appreciated it. Thanks for setting this up and good luck. You are making a difference.

Good Morning TinBoats !!!!

Just a note to let you know things are shaping up nicely .... we have 2 volunteers without boats who will stay at the launching site and help us put in and such .... and 21 volunteers so far with boats .... not bad and we still have time to recruit more boaters.

The question has come up and I would like your input .... should we just make this a day of relaxing fishing? Or, should we set it up as a tourney?

Will be looking forward to hearing what you have to say about this.
I have 2 other guys helping me with this event ... and I will be driving to Murphysboro next weekend to meet with them and work out further plans.

As always .... if you have any questions ... Please e-mail me at: [email protected] or feel free to call my cell 423-650-1052

Thank you again for all your help.

Rich / SF Big Dog

EXCITING NEWS !!!!

I got a phone call yesterday from a friend, who guides for and is friends with JANET PARKER who is the female Kevin Van Dame of Professional Bass Fishing. He called her on our behalf ... and explained what we are trying to do ... and she said she would be honored to attend and spend a day on the water Fishing With A Soldier.

This is exciting news and I am not only looking forward to this event .... but meeting so many of you I have never met before.

Rich / SF Big Dog

Latest posts