What's it worth in your area

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
A 1994 Johnson, 9.9, LONG shaft, new lower seals and bearings, plugs, oil, low hours, very clean, EX condition, starts easy and runs smooth.
sn 603590887, mod # J1ORERB

Thinking around $950 around here (Chicago) - what do you think??

Thanks.

Hard to give ya a non-insulting price when there are 2000 through 2005's on CL in our area for around $700-850 in the winter.

It looks about right around here(southern Indiana) but the prices will jump up and down by 200 bucks I've seen and they don't care about the year, untill it hits the upper 90's, then they hit a grand at least.

perchin said:
Hard to give ya a non-insulting price when there are 2000 through 2005's on CL in our area for around $700-850 in the winter.

Maybe I'm way out of touch?? I searched Craigslist Chicago and didn't find anything like that at all? I searched Johnson and just 9.9 &10 hp outboards. Nothing that new or that cheap?

But, you are up where there are lots more lakes, boats/motors - that might affect the prices?

FishingCop said:
perchin said:

Maybe I'm way out of touch?? I searched Craigslist Chicago and didn't find anything like that at all? I searched Johnson and just 9.9 &10 hp outboards. Nothing that new or that cheap?

But, you are up where there are lots more lakes, boats/motors - that might affect the prices?

yeah... its really bad here right now trying to sell anything. Does not help with 17 lakes withing a 20 mile square either though.
I don't think your way out of touch though, as chicago area would presumably yield much higher prices.

FishingBuds said:
It looks about right around here(southern Indiana) but the prices will jump up and down by 200 bucks I've seen and they don't care about the year, until it hits the upper 90's, then they hit a grand at least.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - I figured $900-950 would be a good asking price and see where it goes? Hard times now, plus being a long shaft might be hard to sell?

hmmppfff.... I'll gladly eat crow on this one Fishingcop. :oops: Its been a couple months since I was browsing on CL, and I just took a look again. I would say your price is pretty fair right now, even in this area.

perchin said:
hmmppfff.... I'll gladly eat crow on this one Fishingcop. :oops: Its been a couple months since I was browsing on CL, and I just took a look again. I would say your price is pretty fair right now, even in this area.

That's good to hear, thanks :D Oh, and you can forget about the crow :wink:

Sounds like a good price

However, if it really has low hours why did you need "new lower seals and bearings" And is this a 4 stoke engine? I thought that was a 2 stroke, what is with "oil" in the description - no oil to change?

Want me to write the ad for you.

"1994 Johnson, 9.9, LONG shaft Out Board engine. Electric Start, Well Maintained and runs like a Raped Ape. Starts right up on the 1st turn of the key. Special bonus it was previously owned by "FishCop" and carries with it is some of his fishing mojo"

THIS AD APPROVED BY CAPTAIN AHAB! =D>

Captain Ahab said:
Sounds like a good price

However, if it really has low hours why did you need "new lower seals and bearings" And is this a 4 stoke engine? I thought that was a 2 stroke, what is with "oil" in the description - no oil to change?

Want me to write the ad for you.

"1994 Johnson, 9.9, LONG shaft Out Board engine. Electric Start, Well Maintained and runs like a Raped Ape. Starts right up on the 1st turn of the key. Special bonus it was previously owned by "FishCop" and carries with it is some of his fishing mojo"

THIS AD APPROVED BY CAPTAIN AHAB! =D>

Ha, ha, capt.... that add should work well :)

It's not an electric start. I saw a little oil coming from the inside of the prop. Didn't know what might cause that - not sure if this is a thru-the-prop exhaust? - which may be the cause of the oil. But I had a marine shop install new seals and bearings and a tune-up - thus, the need for the lower unit oil change - I bought it used and it was extremely clean and the guy I bout it from "claimed" he hardly ever used it?? in the four years I've had it, it has maybe 5-6 hours of actual run time. I use the main motor for trolling - or the electric for the lake near me - only trolled with the 9.9 kicker once for about an hour. Used the 9.9 also on the small lake near me just to get to and from the dock and fishing area - maybe 1/2 mile farthest.

With all the 10 hp restricted lakes in illinois good running 9.9's are in demand. $950 is a solid price for a motor just coming out of the shop, if seller's willing to boat test the motor. Short shaft motors seem to be more in demand, but a good seller can inform people of their option to go out and purchase a jack plate. This is also the best time of the year to ask for the best price-start of the season and income tax time.

po1 said:
With all the 10 hp restricted lakes in illinois good running 9.9's are in demand. $950 is a solid price for a motor just coming out of the shop, if seller's willing to boat test the motor. Short shaft motors seem to be more in demand, but a good seller can inform people of their option to go out and purchase a jack plate. This is also the best time of the year to ask for the best price-start of the season and income tax time.

Now, that is what I wanted to hear :)...... thanks for your insight and opinion :)

Sounds about right on the asking price, but I'd take $700-$800 for it and not look back.

I'd say it's a little on the high side seeing it's a long shaft.

Money's tight for everybody now a days with gas sneaking towards $4 a gallon.

Just an update - after my first buyer was scared off because of the oil coming out of the prop exhaust (normal unburned oil/gas mixture) I re-listed it on CL, no hits the first week, so I re-listed it one more time - still at $950, got a call the next day, guy came and bought it the next day - full $950, didn't even make an offer, paid full price. Guy knew what he wanted, knew a lot about Johnson's, had a 9 hp short he wanted to sell cause he bought a new boat and needed a long shaft.

So... I think my price at $950 was a good price - at least it was for the buyer - he felt like he got a good deal for the price and condition of the motor - kinda acted like it was a steal????

Just goes to show, location, being a long shaft and time of year makes a difference in value.

FishingCop said:
Just an update - after my first buyer was scared off because of the oil coming out of the prop exhaust (normal unburned oil/gas mixture) I re-listed it on CL, no hits the first week, so I re-listed it one more time - still at $950, got a call the next day, guy came and bought it the next day - full $950, didn't even make an offer, paid full price. Guy knew what he wanted, knew a lot about Johnson's, had a 9 hp short he wanted to sell cause he bought a new boat and needed a long shaft.

So... I think my price at $950 was a good price - at least it was for the buyer - he felt like he got a good deal for the price and condition of the motor - kinda acted like it was a steal????

Just goes to show, location, being a long shaft and time of year makes a difference in value.

Some times the allusion of demand works in your favor on CL. I had my 1648 listed for months and months, and when I really needed to sell it, I dropped the price by 500 bucks and made sure to emphasize the price drop.

Had a guy call the same day saying he had seen my boat before and wanted it. He was out of town, so he sent his brother to come pick it up (3 hour drive each way). Tried to talk me down a bit, I said no (knowing he'd pay the full price when making a 6 hour round trip drive), and got my asking price.

He was the only person to ever show any interest. Had he known that, things would have went a lot differently :wink:

dyeguy1212 said:
FishingCop said:

Some times the allusion of demand works in your favor on CL. I had my 1648 listed for months and months, and when I really needed to sell it, I dropped the price by 500 bucks and made sure to emphasize the price drop.

Had a guy call the same day saying he had seen my boat before and wanted it. He was out of town, so he sent his brother to come pick it up (3 hour drive each way). Tried to talk me down a bit, I said no (knowing he'd pay the full price when making a 6 hour round trip drive), and got my asking price.

He was the only person to ever show any interest. Had he known that, things would have went a lot differently :wink:

Glad that worked out for you Dguy, assuming the $500 price drop didn't hurt you??? We had decided that we would take $850 lowest if anyone started wheeling and dealing - turns out, we got the $950 asking price, so all worked out well :)