Beginer Basics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishMar74

Reaction score
Hey guys will you post some beginer basics for guys like me?
For instance i have fished since i was very young but the fishing i did was,
dig or buy a couple dozen worms for bream or whatever would bite
or grab some chicken livers or shrimp and go catfishing.
Well now im interested in serious lure fishing and dont know what colors or styles to begin with.
The info from wired2fish/bait2fish helped but what colors to use is an issue.
So if you would some simple basic rules of thumb would really help like colors for diff. water clearitys
clear, green colored, blue colored and sky conditions.
Example - cloudy day slightly muddy water / use red, orange, chartreuse

:oops: Thanks

If your talking about bass fishing, i just saw an episode of The bass pro's the other day where they said a beginner's tackle box should include the following:

Topwater baits
Prop type bait
Popping bait
Walk the dog type

Crankbaits
Shallow, medium and deep shad pattern

Spinnerbaits
1/4 3/8 1/2 oz chartreuse & white

Soft plastics
Craw and ribbontail worm real natural color and real dark color
creature bait, real natural color and real dark color

Terminal tackle
Tungsten bullet weights
3/16 5/16 1/2 oz
Hooks
Standard and wide gap
2/0 and 5/0

12 lb test line (they didnt specify mono or floro). I keep 15 lb floro and 17lb mono spooled at all times.

I think that's a good starting point for sure. For colors I like Green Pumpkin and Black with blue fleck, but it depends on your local waters and fishing conditions.

Dont get hung up with colors. Stick with the basics Browns, Blacks, Watermelons are a good start. Pick one or two techniques and only fish those for awhile. After you build confidence in those, Pick others.

So................go get a pack of 3/0 Skip gap hooks or EWG hooks and 1-2 packages of a 5 inch stick baits. Texas rig it weightless and go crazy. That is where I always start people new to bass fishing.

I have way too much tackle as some of the guys here know.If you are starting out I would be sure to have green pumpkin in what ever soft plastic bait you use
other colors will come down the line but most of the fish I see come across the scales that are caught on soft plastic baits are on the green pumpkin.
as for crank baits I would suggest 4 colors:
1) a shad pattern
shad.jpg

2) fire tiger
firetiger.gif

3)a crawfish pattern
summercraw.gif

4) rootbeer... i catch fish all across the country with this color
roootbeer.gif

spinner baits and buzz baits white chartreuse are good choices
jigs... you will always here you can throw any color as long as it is blue black and that works for me

Latest posts