When one door closes, another one opens?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiaken

Reaction score
So, driving home Monday night, I realized that my "tow vehicle" has a busted head gasket.

I took the boat out on Sunday and was in an area with really steep hills. I guess the old girl couldn't take it anymore ('95 Land Rover Discovery). I bought that truck for $2,600 (before I got married a year and a half ago) and put at least 3 times that into it wrenching on it. We just replaced the engine a year and a half ago (I didn't do that job - too big and it was cold out). My wife (the one person Appropriations and Acquisitions Committee) decided that we were not going to spend $3,500 on a top end rebuild for the old girl, so she gave me a budget and I went shopping.

Thing is...she told me that she had already planned on updating my truck next year anyway. I went from pissed to thrilled, to apprehensive. I need a tow vehicle now, what should I buy, where should I look...I hate big purchases. And since I'm cheap and I always buy used, finding exactly what I want can be challenging and usually takes time.

Anyway, I culled through hundreds of online adds, drove out to the 'burbs on Wednesday and looked at a "truck." I went back last night and picked it up...gotta love all electronic financing.

It's a 2005 Grand Cherokee, 68K miles and loaded...even has a rear facing DVD. Oh yeah, I should probably mention the 5.7L HEMI...wooohoooo! I get a "truck" and she gets a "family SUV" for the family we are currently attempting to create. Works for me! I even found the color I wanted! This is my first car purchase with under 100K miles...ever...at the ripe old age of 39 :)

photo-3.jpg

good looking vehicle... You will love the color.. I have a 2004 F150 that is that color and it is great at not showing the dirt... Good luck with your good find.
peace

I own a 2002 Liberty and it has been hands down the best car I ever owned. If you can get over the not so great gas mileage, the car has worked flawlessly for 107,000 miles. No break downs, no problems. I have faithfully kept it maintained - hats off to my local mechanic - and have been rewarded with a really reliable car. It's almost 10 years old now and I haven't been making payments for 6 years. When it was getting close to 100K I talked to my mechanic and together we decided I should keep it rather than get a new one. Even a new tranny or transfer case only represents 2-3 month's payments. I hope your Jeep performs as well as mine.

I really like those Jeeps. I'm looking to buy a used car in the next year, and with gas prices going up I really can't justify buying a fullsize pick up (as much as that kills me to say...)

Have my eye on that exact jeep, but maybe with some bfg's and a brush guard as a consolation..

Nice. and...it is the perfect color.. That means, according to my very wise wife....that I should always buy a car that is ......"the color of dirt ! " ......................... Seeing as I am a messy bessy and don't wash them as often as I should....that color fits perfectly. Rich

p.s. it is the same color as my van.

Congrats on the truck. Nice find.

I spent the past two weekends replacing the original upper and lower ball joints, front shocks and other things on my truck. Its a 2000 with 196,000 miles. Been paid for a long time. Last year I had the tranny rebuilt.

Sorry guys, I haven't logged in for a few days.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it has a tow package...Class IV Hitch, 7 Blade RV Connector, Tow/Haul selector (optimizes transmission shift points), a transmission cooler and large radiator. Getting a factory tow package was really important, as I fish every weekend...two hours round trip, minimum (90% of the time). I'd probably burn up a truck that just had an aftermarket hitch attached to it.

I towed the boat for the first time yesterday and it was almost like it wasn't even there...I'm really liking this "truck."

Grats!! I have an 04 Durango with 4.7L so it is close to what you got, although ours is coming close to 120K miles. I have zero problems towing our 3000lb popup camper so a boat and fishing gear should be no problem for you.

Looks good!

One thing to keep an eye on with those Hemis is the lifter springs breaking and causing major problems including a blown engine. If you hear any ticks or rattles, take it in and have the springs checked and/or replaced.

One site you can find all sorts of info about these Chryslers is dodgetalk.com

Thanks...I have been looking for good Jeep and Mopar sites.

That issue you mentioned is exactly why I am getting the lifetime powertrain warranty :)

dyeguy1212 said:
I really like those Jeeps. I'm looking to buy a used car in the next year, and with gas prices going up I really can't justify buying a fullsize pick up (as much as that kills me to say...)

Have my eye on that exact jeep, but maybe with some bfg's and a brush guard as a consolation..

so how is that cheaper than a truck?? LOL the 5.7 are not exactly "gas efficient"!! :LOL2:

brmurray said:
dyeguy1212 said:

so how is that cheaper than a truck?? LOL the 5.7 are not exactly "gas efficient"!! :LOL2:

yep...and the Jeep Grand Limited editions are mostly all-time all wheel drive... my buddy has a 2005 that he removes the front drive shaft on in the summer in order to get better fuel economy... with it in it gets around 14 to 16 mpg HWY, and with it out it gets around 17 to 20. :wink:

My full size truck gets better economy than this. :mrgreen:

perchin said:
brmurray said:
dyeguy1212 said:

yep...and the Jeep Grand Limited editions are mostly all-time all wheel drive... my buddy has a 2005 that he removes the front drive shaft on in the summer in order to get better fuel economy... with it in it gets around 14 to 16 mpg HWY, and with it out it gets around 17 to 20. :wink:

My full size truck gets better economy than this. :mrgreen:

heear you perchin, my crew cab silverado with 4.8 gets 17 and 22 on average.

The 5.7L Hemi has MDS. Basically, it runs on 4 cylinders unless it needs all 8. The mileage is almost exactly the same as the 4.7L V8, so I went with the Hemi.

My last truck was the Land Rover parked behind the GC in the picture. It's a 3.9L V8...the GC gets better gas mileage, has waaaaay more horses and more torque. Both trucks have full time 4WD and eat does tend to eat up gas.

I wanted an SUV that would do double duty as a tow vehicle and something "small enough" that my wife would like to drive it. I started out wanting a Tahoe or Yukon...in the end, the GC just made more sense for us.

Her dad has an F150 and she doesn't like to drive that...so, smaller seemed better.

I don't tend to associate great gas mileage with V8s :)

The GC V6 actually has more HP and torque than my old truck, so even that would have been better than what I had.

Latest posts