My new small business

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
So i decided to try to make a an extra buck or two today (on top of the two jobs that I already have lol). As most know I took on the task of cleaning my rods and reels the other day. i loved it! SOOOO i decided to start a very small business up by offering cleaning and oiling services of rods and reels.

So i created a CL ad to get me started. I dont care if it goes any further than CL really, If i could get a few rods and reels every so often, it will please me!

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mas/2259444443.html

Im hoping I can do something with this!

Good luck man... Craigslist is a powerful way to advertise for free!!!

Here is one that me and the wife advertise on the CL in the summer.

... I build them, and she decorates them :mrgreen: of course she built this ad, as she's a graphic's designer by trade.

Custom Outdoor Decor.jpg

I do not mean to be a ballon breaker but seeins how this and craiglist are public websites be carefull come April 15th..... Happend to a friend of mine...

nuff said...

Just sayin....

Outdoorsman.

Outdoorsman said:
I do not mean to be a ballon breaker but seeins how this and craiglist are public websites be carefull come April 15th..... Happend to a friend of mine...

nuff said...

Just sayin....

Outdoorsman.

My wife claimed all of it anyways... we needed all the write-offs we could get :LOL2:

well i havn't made anything yet so im good lol. but i will see what I need to do about that!

Your nuts for offering spinning reels cheaper than baitcasting reels. :shock:

I don't care to do them, but will.

I service reels on the side too. In fact I should be getting a few from a Guide that works in IN/MN here shortly.
I'm working out a deal with him, to spread the word, and maybe some tackle (has baits/rods that are "his")

I'll supertune, and offer upgrades too. Carbon handles, super tuning, smooth drags, gear swaps, custom paint, full custom reels, you name it. The bass guys seem to be into it more than the Musky guys though.

Might be worth it to look into doing some other stuff with reels also. Supertuning doesn't cost YOU much, but is time consuming.

Actually servicing reels is time consuming overall, so as you do it more, constantly tweak how you do things to speed up the process.

Also, if you do get business from someone who will need regular work, or a group that uses a specific reel, it's a good idea to stock the things you need. Just in case you get an emergency repair type thing.
Drag washers, anti reverse pawls, IAR bearings, spool bearings, and levelwind pawls are all pretty cheap.
I'm going to have to stock up on Calcutta TE parts here pretty soon.

You won't get rich doing it, but heck, if you can make some money on the side doing something you like why not do it?

Thanks LonB!! Ill consider all that! Let me get a little better and some business in before I get in too deep. I already have a guy wanting me to do 9 reels on one of my truck forums!

Perchin what are the chances that I can get her to make me a pretty ad like that?

I ordered some business cards and made some flyers today. I'm really hoping this works!

Sure, if you want me too! just take care of shipping and I'll have em cleaned up for ya.

Wow those are some pricey reels...lol. for saltwater reels, i have to charge a little bit extra as they take one more product to help prevent corrosion.

so it will be $15 per reel plus $3 extra plus shipping both ways. If you are interested, let me know and ill get em ready for ya!

dixie_boysles said:
Perchin what are the chances that I can get her to make me a pretty ad like that?

If ya PM me some requirments for your ad, I'll have her send you some examples. Also if you have some nice photos of some high end reels that you can send us... she said payment would be word of mouth.

perchin said:
dixie_boysles said:

If ya PM me some requirments for your ad, I'll have her send you some examples. Also if you have some nice photos of some high end reels that you can send us... she said payment would be word of mouth.

I really dont have any pics of that just starting out and all. I use entry-level to mid-level baitcasters myself for bass fishing. Im just looking for generic pics of reels and stuff. like one baitcaster, one open face, etc...

here is the flyer I made, just a generic flyer:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14942986/S-Les.pdf

and here are the business cards I got!

2011-03-14185621.jpg

You need to be careful here. Operating a business without protection is a lawsuit waiting to happen. With your current business structure your entire family income is at stake. Your wages could be garnished for the rest of your life. I HIGHLY recommend you look into some protection. I too started a small business, mine is a Corporation, Sub-Chapter S, or commonly referred to as a S-Corp. All liability is retained by the business. If for some reason the business gets sued, my personal assets are not in jepordy.
I am registered with the feds and state.

Government ahs a great website- yes a contradiction of terms (government/great) for the small business man.
https://www.sba.gov/

This organization will get you going in the right direction, and there is no charge 99% of the time.
https://www.score.org/index.html

Link to my web-site. I'm about to make some changes to the pics/text. What can I say, it was my first attempt at a website.
https://myisoexpert.com/

Im growing my business really slow on purpose. I realize there will be a huge learning curve, and want to work out a good business model before I try to maimize the business.

I wish you good luck in your indevors. IF you ahve questions. Post up or pm me.

dang, i didnt know it would be this much trouble lol. I may need to rethink things first and get some bearings

Latest posts