Sleeping Bag

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am taking the kids camping for the first time this summer. We are easing into it and are staying in a camp cabin. I have been looking at sleeping bags just for the heck of it and ended up buying 4 of them for $9.88 each. They got good reviews so What the heck. If they stink I will learn my lesson. Opinions? :LOL2:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trails-3-lb-Sleeping-Bag/14504291

Cheater [-X
Camping = Tent

That said.... I tried to rent a yurt for our annual upcoming kids fishing tournament next month for a couple nights where we could "camp out", and they were all booked. :evil:

I had to rent one of the walk-in tent sites without electricity instead. Seeing how I'm not a planner, I'm sure I'll forget at least 2 things I wish I had that wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't in the tent.

I think your Wallyworld sleeping bags will be fine so long as it doesn't get real cold at night in a tent. Should be fine in the CABIN though :roll:

Think about me when the thunderstorm rolls in while you're inside watching BASSMATER on ESPN. :LOL2:

Brine said:
Cheater [-X
Camping = Tent

That said.... I tried to rent a yurt for our annual upcoming kids fishing tournament next month for a couple nights where we could "camp out", and they were all booked. :evil:

I had to rent one of the walk-in tent sites without electricity instead. Seeing how I'm not a planner, I'm sure I'll forget at least 2 things I wish I had that wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't in the tent.

I think your Wallyworld sleeping bags will be fine so long as it doesn't get real cold at night in a tent. Should be fine in the CABIN though :roll:

Think about me when the thunderstorm rolls in while you're inside watching BASSMATER on ESPN. :LOL2:

:LOL2:

+1.....What Brine said.

You will be fine. If you want to do any colder weather camping though....notice I said "camping" and not "cabining".....you could get a bit of a chill. If it's cold....have them sleep in a stocking hat. That in itself will warm them a lot.

If your going to be indoors that should be good. I have several bags depending on the time of year I also have several tents depending on how many people are going. You will collect a lot of equipment if you enjoy it.

the wife and i head into the mountains evey summer for a month straight,and all we use are summerweight bags and a queen size airbed on an aluminum frame and we rarely get cold.coleman heater with a 1 lb. propane bottle for really cold nites.

You'll be ok, just take extra blankets. When I took the kids up to the mountains in Ruidoso, NM I would open the sleeping bags up and put a blanket inside, then fold the sleep bag back over this gave the girls a extra level of warmth. With kids you can never have too many blankets or too many extra outfits.

We used to do a bit of tent camping years ago and used only summer bags. On chilly nights we'd add one of those inexpensive fleece throws you can get at Walmart, and it was fine. Be sure and use a sleeping pad to insulate under you, and as fender said, a stocking cap works wonders, as you lose a quite a bit of body heat through the top of your head. In cooler weather, and if you sleep in your skivvies, place your shirt and pants in the bottom of the bag, and they'll be warm in the morning.

When I first saw the title of the post "Sleeping Bag", it reminded of an old Dean Martin line: "I'd like to thank whoever sent me the sleeping bag............................but how do you wake her up!?"

:)

Sleeping on hardwood floors in a cabin is tougher than sleeping on soft ground outside. You may want to get some padding or an air mattress to sleep on if you are going to be sleeping on hard surfaces. If you are sleeping on the ground, make sure you remove ALL small rocks and debris from under your tent and sleeping bag. You would be amazed at how uncomfortable one small little rock can be. Also, the ground can cool off considerably at night if the temperature drops much. If you do use an air mattress remember you need a real good set of lungs to blow it up or an air pump.

Remember to set the tent up on high ground. It is no fun waking up to find out you set it up in a mud puddle after the rain starts. Been there, done that.

The most important thing is the pad betweent eh bag and the floor/ground. Go back to Wally world and buy some clsoed cell ground pads.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Pack-Lite-Camping-Pad/9856753#Item+Description

ITs the same pad I use for winter camping. The key to staying warm is to keep the ground from sucking the life out of your. You will never heat it up to keep you warm.

IF your children are cold, use a fleece blanket and fold taht over in the bag. Also add clothing to the foot of the bag. The blanket adds another layer to trap air. The clothing (preferable a fleece jacket) reduces th amount of air in teh bag. Air is a poor insulator, remove as much of it as possible and you will greatly improve your sleeping onditions.

One last thing, no soda at least an hour before bed, and make them go pee one last time. Otherwise you will be doing the two step at 2:00am.

I've been camping one weekend a month every month of the year for the past 37 years, been teahing Boy Scouts how to camp for 20 of that. In fact, next weekend Im taken them on fishing/camping trip. Nothing like fresh fish over an open fire after a day of fishing.

:LOL2: Guys, this is where we are staying. https://www.longlakecamps.com/

We rented the big sun cabin...beds, running water, electricity. NO TV! we are roughing it first time around!

fyi,walmart sells a nylon/aluminum cot that folds up to the size of a camp chair. we got a couple for the kids 3 or 4 years ago and they still work great. i think they were around $50 but worth every penny.

Jim said:
:LOL2: Guys, this is where we are staying. https://www.longlakecamps.com/

We rented the big sun cabin...beds, running water, electricity. NO TV! we are roughing it first time around!

I won't give you a hard time. When you have kids it's sometimes easier to ease into it.
Truth is though, that in that case 'WE' are easing into it. Lets face it. We are afraid of the hassle of all the setup/teardown while chasing down little ones that either want to run off, or jump on their bikes and disappear for hours.

The first time we took the little ones camping it was in cabins too. They weren't heated, and were basically a cabin with bunks and that's it. But still it was nice to not have to "set up camp"

Don't worry about the walmart stuff. Even the guys on Expedition Portal give some walmart stuff good reviews and they are big time equipment snobs.

cwln7l.jpg

That's my wifes style of camping. :mrgreen:

The best way to deal with little ones is to assign them chores. Put them in charge of the tent stakes, as they grow olde,r up the level of responsibility. I have the Scouts trained, we pull into camp, they unload, set up troop gear, personal gear, gather firewood, build a fire, and prepare Cracker Barrel (snack). Camp is set up, fire going, and we are eating within an hour. They know the longer they take, the less time they have for games. It's a well oiled machine.

If this goes as I hope, the next "camping trip" will be in a tent in a campground. Ones where they have public bathrooms and showers. Cost like 10 bucks per night.

Hanr3 said:
That's my wifes style of camping. :mrgreen:

The best way to deal with little ones is to assign them chores. Put them in charge of the tent stakes, as they grow olde,r up the level of responsibility. I have the Scouts trained, we pull into camp, they unload, set up troop gear, personal gear, gather firewood, build a fire, and prepare Cracker Barrel (snack). Camp is set up, fire going, and we are eating within an hour. They know the longer they take, the less time they have for games. It's a well oiled machine.

I taught my 21/2 year old to tie a few knots that I use (Uni-knot, blood knot and a triple surgeons) - Set him up with my fishing stuff and he spends a few hours sharpening hooks, tying knots and organizing the tackle.

Well I wish anyway

Latest posts