carp population

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always heard of using corn. I've never caught a carp so I don't know. And usually add weight to get the bait to the bottom.

You need to a Mr fish.. he is a carp king.
The carp I fish for are more like pets. I feed them dog food and have caught them using marshmallows.
I have heard that corn meal is a good bait just chum the water with some corn and put your line with the corn in the middle

Wayne

dont introduce carp into a place with bass ask your local game warden ive heard horrer stories of populations over taking the available food supplies

Just walk to my back yard with a net! lol

Seriously, I have seen them catch them on whole kernel corn on a hook on bottom.

I have Japanese Koi (carp) in my pond in my back yard. I had like 66 at one time, with biggest being 26" long. Here's an old pic of some of them including the biggest one I had.

Attachments

• Copy of FishPics 028 (Small).jpg
    Copy of FishPics 028 (Small).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 490
BassAddict said:
Today i was wondering what effect does carp have on bass, also whats the simplest way to catch a carp? will bread on a small hook with a bobber work?

Here are a few TinBoat threads that have covered the rigs and bait

Simple Carp Rigs:
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=816&highlight=carp

Bait and Baiting
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762&highlight=carp

In my area we have a large number of anglers devoted to carp fishing (Mr. Fish is one, but he is also very much a multi-species guy). Carp are awesome to catch, they fight great, grow huge and for many, are going to be the largest fish you can catch in fresh water.

As far as there effect on bass waters, most biologists agree that that they improve those waters. While bass fisherman can be heard to say that the carp muddy up the water this dos not hurt the bass provided there is sufficient depth in the lake or pond. Further, bass and carp do not compete for the same food. Finally, Bass (and other species) can and do eat the carp fry and eggs.

Several things are important to note:

1. Although carp and bass can thrive in the same water, carp are much more resistant to poor quality water conditions (i.e. low oxygen, polluted water and warm water);

2. Sometime you will note that a body of water has a large carp population and no bass. This might mean several things - carp are usually much easier to see in the water then bass so there might be a decent bass population but you cannot see them. Or, the water quality is poor, carp tolerate teh poor water but bass do not so you get lots of carp;

3. Contrary to some belief, carp do to "ruin" the water for bass. (See point number 1). Of course any water system out of balance will favor one species over another.

PLEASE do not try to become a half-assed marine biologist and decide that you can fix a perceived problem by killing one species to hopefully favor another.

The big 43 acre lake on my farm was stocked with 50 grass carp when it was just starting out. my hope is that they will control the hydrilla growth and make the bass reachable. I would never want to see the carp cleared out of a body of water.Like esquired says they will be the biggest fresh water fish most will catch..

Wayne

Latest posts