Lactic acid build up kills 7 pounder?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldog

Reaction score
We had a great day of fishing yesterday catching 14 bass, 10 of which were keepers over 15". The day was awesome. My fishing buddy caught a 22.5" 7 pound beast on a lipless crankbait. We did not have it out of the water very long and we released it. About 10 minutes later the bass beached itself for no reason. i ran over to it to see what was wrong as the last thing I want is to have a 7 pounder die out of my honey hole. We tried to revive it for 20 minutes with figure 8's and making water flow through its gills but to no avail.

The only thing I can think of is the fish put up such a hard fight that the lactic acid killed it. I have been reading up on it and it says that especially during seasonal changes, specifically winter to spring, this happens. We ended up taking the fish with us and my buddy is going to get it mounted.

What are your thoughts? Has this ever happened to you?

Attachments

• 3-19-11 deerpoint 2.JPG
    3-19-11 deerpoint 2.JPG
    529.8 KB · Views: 515
I think it was the lactic acid. It wasn't your fault. That offen happens with big fish, thats why they say let the fish play a little when reeling it in.

That's still a sweet fish and no need to feel bad. You still did your best and it's nice to see those once in a while. Wish I would have caught that on Saturday in the tournament. :lol:

Great looking fish...

I wonder if it may have been the air bladder. On some of the large fish, even 3-4 minutes out of the water can be too much if they have an already weakened air bladder, possibly from being caught previously.

That or the acid like previously mentioned.

Latest posts