It's killing me!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
I've been on a declining run for many years now and have decided that I have to stop my habit before it kills me.

For the last 25 years or so, I can, and do if I don't stop myself...drink anywhere between 2 and 3 liters of Dt. Pepsi a day. This week I've tried to cut back as much as possible and I've allowed myself a little in the morning (about 12 ounces), 1 can during the work day, and one can at home at night. This has been harder than it was for me to quit smoking in my late teens. I'm dying here. Anyone heard of a patch for people addicted to soda? :shock:

Go for it! I'm not Catholic, but I usually practice abstaining from something for lent...this year I gave up soda all together....it's much like quitting smoking, the first few days are rough, but once the DT's pass and you ween yourself from it, you'll come to realize that there are other awesome things to drink...like beer! :beer:

Im right there with ya! I knew I had a Coke problem (the beverage) when I went to throw away my office trash but there was no room on account of the 6 empty 2 litter bottles from the previous week..............

I struggled with my DR Pepper habit for a long time, probably 40 years. Then I got hooked on the Lipton citrus flavored green tea. Finally got both of them beat. Hang in there man.

Many years ago, my doc said that caffeine was bad for my prostate. Hmmm.....that got my attention. I dropped caffeinated coffee. I used to drink tons of the stuff. I went directly to decaf coffee.

The entire next week, I had splitting headaches. I thought I needed to have my eyes examined. Whoooa! Nope, it was the absence of caffeine ( it really is a drug...and I was in withdrawal) in my blood stream.

I'd suggest that you do NOT quit diet Pepsi cold turkey. The sudden lack of caffeine may cause you a ton of problems. Ease off of it. Switch to something else ...water is good....but don't just STOP in one day.

At least, not IMHO. regards, Rich

You're in luck! I've got some inside information for you. My roommate works for Pepsi and I described to him your situation.

His suggestion... Hard drugs.

Wait no! Actually that was his first suggestion. But as others have suggested, cold turkey probably isn't the way to go. He said you're hooked on the habit most likely. Or he said you could switch to an inferior cola, like RC, realize it's garbage, and then you'll be cured.

Up until a few weeks ago I drank 3-4 sodas a day - Diet Dr Pepper, Pepsi, Coke, etc. Then one day I had extruciating pain in my back and could barely stand. I had to get someone to drive me to the ER. The diagnosis was kidney stones. After talking with a Urologist, she said that it was most likely caused by all of the soda I drank. I don't know if it was true or not, but I gave them up and hope to never have that much pain again. The pain made it easy for me to give it up!!

Scott

Yeah some good advice here. However....I don't always drink the caffeinated version. In fact, most of the time, I'm drinking decaffeinated Dt. Pepsi. The headaches are not a problem at all. I'm sure it is a habit, but when I don't have it and want it really, really, bad.... I can taste it. I love the taste and refreshing crack of the carbonation. I'm doing okay, but really in a bad place right now. I don't want to cut it out completely...but one, or maybe two a day would be okay for me and a great improvement. God help me cause I'm going crazy right now. This really is the most difficult thing I've tried to do in my life......again. Hopefully, I'll be successful this time! If not...maybe hard drugs would help. #-o

sixshootertexan said:
One thing that helped was instead of making that big 64oz glass of DP I would get a small glass. Take a few sips and walk away.

I always walk away....but I take it with me. :mrgreen:

I drank 6-8 20 oz dews a day for 15 yrs. Start drinking Tea or a soda you dont like. after a few weeks youll be fine, you have to give up the one you like all together, weaning off doesnt work IMO.

Hey Chris...I don't know what to tell you...I used to drink nearly a gallon of iced tea a day. We never had soda as kids, we had iced tea...I drank it almost everyday of my life until about a year and a half ago. I wanted to lose weight in the worse way and I knew I needed to cut out the sugar. I also found out that the iced tea can cause kidney stones. I started drinking the Sobe flavored water...no sugar and lots of vitamins. Unfortunately, I think it just a will power thing. We can give moral support though. Good luck my friend.

I had to wean my self off over a few weeks. Sub water in for one soda a day. then more, by two weeks you can stop it all, but DONT replace the caffine in your diet or the headaches and urges to drink more won't stop. I had to leave work early a few days cause I couln't stand it. BUT now I can take or leave soda. Even can have a monster now and again.

When you get the urge, try something sweet. Lately I've been on oat's and honey granola bars, it gives you sweet, crunch, and less than 200 calories, and isn't all that bad for you.

shamoo said:
Try drinking the flavored water instead, good luck =D>

I like the Nestle flavored water. My bro introduced it to me years ago. I still have soda from time to time, but I have the water more than anything.

FishyItch said:
Wait no! Actually that was his first suggestion. But as others have suggested, cold turkey probably isn't the way to go. He said you're hooked on the habit most likely. Or he said you could switch to an inferior cola, like RC, realize it's garbage, and then you'll be cured.

Hey, no reason to bash RC...some prefer it over Pepsi or Coke

I got sick and tired of the massive crash, and slowed metabolism because of it, and have cut back on caffeine big time.

I used to drink two 12 cup pots of coffee per day. #-o

Its hard Fender, but I went thru it myself and have been caffeine free 4 years now, It was a wake up call at at doc's one day that motivated me.

No coffee no sodas no tea, just water, BUT i will have a root bear float once in a while =D>

Latest posts