Car Battery to collect night crawlers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven174us

Reaction score
I seen in the March issue of Field and Stream that you can take 2 copper rods, place them in the ground about 3 feet apart and hook to a car battery using jumper cables. This is suppose to bring up the worms. Is this something that is worth trying?

never heard of it before but you never know! i have a book that says you can drive a wooden stake into the ground and then tap it with a piece of wood and that will bring them to the surface at night...

I remember seeing people "worm growling" had to look around to find the info.
Here is a link
https://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=09-P13-00011&segmentID=8

I use to go out at night with a bucket of soapy water and throw on the grass let it soak in, it seemed to bring those suckers up.

There was an episode featured on "Dirty Jobs" that had a couple doing this. I believe that is how they made their living. They collected quite a few worms rasping that file across the stake in the ground.

it will work be sure to soak the ground before hand.
you can also use the rods with 120/volt drop light but you need to know what your doing for that one.

My Dad used to have a "worm rod",that he made. It consisted of a steel rod with a wooden handle,that had the "hot" lead of an extension cord soldered to it. You would plug it in,stick it in the ground and watch them come flying out of the ground. There were 2 rules to remember- 1.always wear shoes and 2.NEVER reach down to pick up a worm until the rod was out of the ground. Needless to say I broke both rules,each only one time. Man that thing would give you a jolt.

S&MFISH said:
My Dad used to have a "worm rod",that he made. It consisted of a steel rod with a wooden handle,that had the "hot" lead of an extension cord soldered to it. You would plug it in,stick it in the ground and watch them come flying out of the ground. There were 2 rules to remember- 1.always wear shoes and 2.NEVER reach down to pick up a worm until the rod was out of the ground. Needless to say I broke both rules,each only one time. Man that thing would give you a jolt.
Mine had an on off switch... both the battery and the worm rod/drop light work great the battery will only give you a small area to get your bait...
this will also work if you have a stray cat that uses you garden as a litter box

S&MFISH said:

That is some crazy stuff. I would end up shocking my self every time. #-o I live in an area with lots of clay and don't ever see night crawlers. But I have family that live on farm land so I thought I'd try some tricks to collect bait.

raven174us said:
S&MFISH said:

That is some crazy stuff. I would end up shocking my self every time. #-o I live in an area with lots of clay and don't ever see night crawlers. But I have family that live on farm land so I thought I'd try some tricks to collect bait.

It might sound crazy,but it works like a charm. Give it a try and see for yourself. I lost track of the worm rod after Dad passed away. Then Mom sold their house in the city and I think she left it behind.

So the hot is hooked to the rod where does the other wire go? I may try the battery first. It would save me a ton of money collecting them myself.

The other wire is dormant(not used). The ground is "the ground",if you know what I mean. And ,for Gods sake DON'T touch the rod.It would be like touching a bare wire. Use Insulated(from electricity) gloves if you have any reservations about the electricty.

Dad's rod was about 3.5ft long. About 3/16-1/4in dia. He would plug it in,then shove it into the ground about 2ft,twisting it back and forth and pulling it out and shoving it back in repeatedly,until the worms appeared.If no worms came up it was time to move.Don't leave it in the ground for an extended period of time.If the worms are there you'll know it pretty quick.

I'll try that for sure. I'm somewhat comfortable with electricity. I just thought the initial idea was somewhat crazy. But if it's something that has been around for a while then it has to be worth doing.

I remember doing this with some kind of extension cord/wire coat hanger contraption that my brother made. We always did it around the compost pile or the rabbit cages, and it really brought them up.
The night crawlers that we got this way usually didn't live very long though, so we would have to throw out any that we didn't use that day.

when i lived in ny we would go out after it rains at night and get as many worms as we wanted. the rain would push them up out the ground.

Latest posts