Everybody come make fun of me!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one100grand

Reaction score
I know that Jim wants to keep this site free of bashing...but please, I deserve it...

My fishing partner Julio and I went out on Sunday to one of my favorite local spots - Fountainhead Lake in Fairfax Station, VA. I've fished this lake for probably around 10 years and I'm pretty familiar with it - usually with pretty good success. We took the boat out a little later than we might normally because it was supposed to be a chilly morning with a sudden break in temp around 10:00 AM. Getting on the water around 9:45, we noticed a lot of folks in the park...which I expected because it was the first weekend of the full year this park is open (it's been open weekends before, but now it's open until November). As we got onto the water, we ran up a few of the smaller coves I'm used to fishing...not getting any bites at all...we worked jigs, spinners, cranks, worms and nothing...

This progressed for the next 6 hours...only had a few bites all day and didn't land a fish at all, which was a bummer, but it was a nice day, so I can't complain about that....at 4:00 we had to leave so Julio could get back to his family...

There were probably 30 boats at the ramp and pretty much all of them had ice chests...full of fish...there was a tournament going on that we were completely oblivious of and seemingly every boat was bringing in 15-20 pounds...We couldn't catch ANYTHING and it looked like the freaking BASSMASTERS classic by the ramp...I saw angler after angler with 3-5 pound fish and even a couple that were probably 8-10 pounds...I'd honestly say I'm somewhat of a proud man and that I have a certain pride in my angling capabilities...but I have to say that watching these fishermen pull fish after fish out of their creels was a very humbling experience. #-o

Nice, I feel your pain there. Apparently the other boats weren't in your area, and neither were the fish. I know I have to adjust my fishing location and presentation for the weather. If something isn't working in a few hours, you gotta change it up. I haven't really figured the early season out yet because I'm still working long hours during tax season. But last year as it got cold, I went deep and found zero fish, then I tried my normal stuff and nothing. I finally found them REAL shallow holding over the darker ground section- just like sitting in a heater - Also found some so shallow they were sitting in the prop ditches, where yahoos who don't know the lake go flying across till they realize they dug into the sand. These fish were so shallow, they would leave a wake chasing your bait.

Better luck next time!

BassAddict said:
Your problem is obvious to me, they just caught em all before you even got there :)

That's what I tried to justify it with since we didn't see anyone catching anything all day...or maybe the fish I normally catch are the stupid ones...and they'd already been caught...it's nice to think that I can only fool stupid fish :fishing2:

Did you watch where they released all those fish? Might be a good idea to start there next week :fishing:

BassAddict said:
Your problem is obvious to me, they just caught em all before you even got there :)

I agree with that statement. One of the places I fish is real productive just before sunrise until an hour or two after then slows down considerably until about 5PM. It then picks back up until dark.

wasilvers said:
Did you watch where they released all those fish? Might be a good idea to start there next week :fishing:

I ALMOST started fishing about 30 feet from where they were releasing all of these fish...but then I realized that I'm not shameless enough to do that while they're letting the fish go....next time I go though...

I had this happen but in reverse.
Went out Salmon fishing on Puget Sound one day when I used to live up there, I usually was pretty successful but 2 things were a little different that day. First thing was way more boats than expected, i bet you could almost jump from one boat to the next to get to shore. The second was that I had an unusually good day. The 3 of us on my boat limited within a few hours and I had tha biggest of the day, a blackmouth that was @ 20lbs. And I had another close to 15lbs.
My dad called me the next day to tell me he found out why so many boats were out, it was the annual Boeing salmon tournament open to all anglers. Winner of the biggest fish prize and $500
was someone with a 13lb fish :x :x :x .......... :oops:

I just wanted to post another self-deprecating story....

Sunday I took a friend out who hasn't been fishing since he was a kid...since I know he doesn't have the tolerance to go out on a boat for 6+ hours, I decided to bring him by a spot near my house that I always catch fish at - I typically use a cast net to catch bait and go after fish based on what bait we catch...if I get shiners, I'll rig for stripers, bass, and perch; bluegill or shad - stripers & catfish...I threw my cast net for over an hour and caught 1 bluegill...I've never not seen bait galore in this spot. To make matters worse, literally everyone around us were catching fish and bait...an older guy was nice and offered me a herring to use as cut bait for catfish...I wasn't too proud and my friend was getting bored, so I cut up the bait and set 4 poles....we sat....for hours....the old guy fishing in almost an identical spot on an almost identical rig pulled em in one after another - we had one bite...2011 might not be my year for fishing...

I was thinking about coming over to visit you since I have friends in Alexandria.....but not any more. You've been scratched off my list. :mrgreen:

This truly is such an unusual site. Totally honest fishermen. Love it! Rich

p.s. I was nearly skunked yesterday, while my buddy who knows the lake caught 20 LM bass from his own boat!

LeviStevenson said:
its because you were fishing with julio...he is best to hang with down by the schoolyard.

I only wish he spoke enough English to get this joke...I've made it several times and he never gets it...

Chris, come visit, just make sure you bring your skunk repellent!

Latest posts