MAN OVERBOARD!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sccamper

Reaction score
Now what???

Have you figured out how you would get back in your boat if you ended up in the water? Its a topic that came up on anouther board, I had never thought about it before then.

I made a single rung, rope ladder. Keep it in back off the boat, I can reach it from the water. The hope is to slip the loop around the rear cleat, put my foot in the rung then stand up. That should get me high enough to crawl in the boat. I havnt tried it yet but will when it warms up.

Other can us the factory ladder and some can us the power tilt on the outboard to lift them up. What about yall?

I keep my rear dock line coiled up and stuck inside the rear tackle box locker with just enuff left out so that I can grab it. Of course if I'm trolling for salmon I'll just have to wave goodbye to the boat as it slowly motors away as I have yet to devise a method for killing the kicker motor if I take that unfortunate tumble.

I use the outboards as a step. Never got the factory ladder :cry:

Flounder, you can get a safety kill switch - with a lanyard and they even make a wireless version.

Simple trick for the kicker (especially if you are fishing alone) tie a string to your belt (or belt loop) and tie the other end to the spark pug wire, you fall over and you can pull the wire off to kill the engine.

I have a lanyard kill switch for my main (and I use it). I had thought about tying a small line to the plug wires of the kicker but I am still trying to figure out exactly what and how to do it so that I can wear it and still troll and fight fish. I had thought about dragging a small float behind that was attached to the plug wires but if I missed it I would still be waving good bye to the boat as well as it could tangle in my lines or even the prop.

IMG_1115.jpg

I have no main motor on the back, but hopefully the rear tm would support my weight and I'd use that as a "step" to re-enter the boat. I also leave the bow rope connected to the front eye and could possibly (hopefully) grab the rope and tow the boat to shallow water, wade to the bank and re-enter.........hopefully :shock:

i dont fall in, plus my boats in use as a storage talbe right now anyway, but when i get it fixed up and out i dont plan on falling in. However if i did there are two handles on each side of the back so i think i could use them to get back in.

While we are on this topic - how many of you have jumped overboard and tried to get back into your boat?

I have, lots of times. If you never have try it, you might be surprised about how difficult it can be.

And no, I did not jump overboard to see if I could get back in, we swim off the boat on hot summer days. (At least we used to until the shark incident :shock: )

esquired said:
While we are on this topic - how many of you have jumped overboard and tried to get back into your boat?

I have, lots of times. If you never have try it, you might be surprised about how difficult it can be.

And no, I did not jump overboard to see if I could get back in, we swim off the boat on hot summer days. (At least we used to until the shark incident :shock: )

Next time I'm out with a buddy I'm going to push him overboard and see what he does. I will video tape the whole thing and post it on you tube. :mrgreen:

Never purposedly jumped overboard, and don't want to do it in the waters I fish here. Danged water snakes around here, which is the primary motivating reason I'll be back on the boat quickly if I ever do fall-in. :shock: :lol:

I went over board in a 10ft jon boat about 10 years ago :eek: I end up just put my hands on the bow/starboard size corner and slinging one foot up on the starboard size and rolling back in.

I never plan on falling out either, but it could happen. I still havnt tried to get back in on emergancy, but I will try this summer. Probally have the bow of the boat in shallow water just in case. Im not any where near as lean and mean as I used to be; and I can remember trying to get back in the cruiser boat, after tubeing or skiing all day, with the factory ladder with 3 steps. It took a good pull to stand up on the bottom rung.

The situation would be VERY more important this time of year. 45 degree water(or colder), heavy clothes. Could get very bad very fast.

Hypothermia may develop within minutes of being exposed to cold water, or it may take several hours, depending on the water temperature. An important thing to note is that water doesn't have to be icy cold to cause hypothermia. Your body loses heat more quickly in water than in air. Any water temperature lower than your body temperature causes your body to lose at least some heat.

The following is from the Mayo Clinics web site and a table is such a PITA to copy and paste I just put slashes in it where the columns would be.

Water temperature/Time until exhaustion or unconsciousness/Expected time of survival in the water

Under 32 F (icy waters)/Less than 15 minutes/Less than 15 to 45 minutes
32.5 to 40 F (Lake Superior in spring)/15 to 30 minutes/30 to 90 minutes
40 to 50 F (Maine coastal waters in spring)/30 to 60 minutes/1 to 3 hours
50 to 60 F (Central Pacific coastal waters year-round)/1 to 2 hours/1 to 6 hours
60 to 70 F (Gulf of Mexico in winter)/2 to 7 hours/2 to 40 hours
70 to 80 F (Gulf of Mexico in spring and fall)/3 to 12 hours/3 hours to indefinite
More than 80 F (Key West coastal waters in summer)/Indefinite/Indefinite

Latest posts