Got the boat started!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Spring is almost here. After it sat outside all winter, I was worried about my motor running - call it paranoiam or just silllyness. Today it hit 80 degrees in southern WI and I took off work to putter. Of course, I check the fuel, pump the bulb about 3 times, prime it and crank, but she didn't start. I had bought new plugs so put those in and cranked some more and nothing.... When I was just about to break out the starting fluid, I remembered 'THE THROTTLE'. Gave it a bit of a goose and she fired right up :D :D :D . After about 5 minutes, I adjusted the rpms up a bit and calling it good for the on-the-water test next week.

I think I'm going to write myself a reminder of what to check when launching the boat. Checklists and me go good together!

Same weather here in NE Illinois, but I ended up mulching the yard. Maybe this coming week I'll get the boat out for a run.

Nice, I hope you ran water through the motor when running?

My motor is sitting in the garage mocking me. I see it out of the corner of my eye every time I take the dogs out. It just sits there, when I turn my head it looks like its running. When I turn quick to catch it, its stops. I swear its laughing at me.

Once I get these darn taxes ready for the tax man I can start on my boat/engine projects for this season. However next weekend is a wedding, then Easter, then a tournament, and I really should get teh riding mower out and tuned up. No time, I got NO TIME. ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#-o

Hanr3 said:
Nice, I hope you ran water through the motor when running?

Oh yeah, I did remember that! The kids had fun running thru the water soaked while I was messing around.

wasilvers said:
When I was just about to break out the starting fluid, I remembered 'THE THROTTLE'.

NEVER use starting fluid on a 2 stroke engine - you are then running a motor dry (without oil)

Use a syringe to add some pre-mix down the carb if you have/feel the need but everything that goes in MUST have oil or you stand the chance of doing seem damage

I've heard that before, but have to say, it is appropriate in the right situation.

Never use it on a 'dry' engine, it should not be part of the routine to get it started. But if I have cranked on it for a bit, pulled the plugs and they are 'damp'. And the motor is just soooo close to kicking over, yeah, it can be used. After all, the oil in the gas will still lube till more gets in there.

When my motor feels like it's about to fire, the starter kicks off. So when it is close to start (like when I didn't give it any throttle) will go crank, pop, whirrlllll (as the starter spins out).