having trouble trying to stock a pond?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello to all. I live in east TN and am having problems trying to stock my small pond with fish. Been catching a few and putting them in here and there.Problem is a crane or blue herron not sure wich it is,staying around all the time eating my fish.I think they are protected so I can,t kill it.What can I do to keep it away? Any help appreciated,Brian.

Well you could get a few of these they work on geese

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14227&cmpid=11csegpl&ref=6112&subref=AA&CAWELAID=529166109&cagpspn=pla

SSS

But I wouldn't kill a heron. Catch bigger fish to put in there that it can't eat is all I have unless you get it stocked through DNR in higher numbers.

My suggestion would just be to go ahead and stock your pond and the highest rates that your pond will allow. There will always be herons and egrets that hang around to eat your minnows, its nature. Plus, stocking your pond with high numbers will allow for the fish life cycle to take place naturally and you will always have enough fish for yourself and the heron's to eat. Depending on how big your pond is, stocking can be expensive, but you can use wholesale companies that can get you a much better price than your local fish farm (likely). How big is your pond? I can give you an idea of the amounts and costs of fish you would be looking at. Plus, we have a fisheries biologist on staff who could answer any other questions. Feel free to pm me if you do not want to discuss all of this openly.

Get one of the decorative brass or bronze herons they use for koi ponds. Herons are very territorial and won't hunt beside each other. At least, that's what I've read somewhere.

you can always get with your local wildlife commission/ fisheries and ask questions..... they are usually pretty helpful. When we had a 3/4 acre pond dug for Mom and Dad years ago,we had a simular problem, I was talking to a fisheries guy about it, he was really helpful in the fact they volunteered to bring out some of their... I guess excess stock, and help us stock our pond with larger fish ( you never know you might get lucky but either way they can help)

But everyone has offered some really sound advice so far :)

Hey guys thank,s for all the great ideas.I found a blue herron decoy today in Cabelas.Im going to order one and give it a try. Ididnt know they were territorial birds.Thanks fo all the help,Brian. :D

FloridaBassGirl said:
you can always get with your local wildlife commission/ fisheries and ask questions..... they are usually pretty helpful. When we had a 3/4 acre pond dug for Mom and Dad years ago,we had a simular problem, I was talking to a fisheries guy about it, he was really helpful in the fact they volunteered to bring out some of their... I guess excess stock, and help us stock our pond with larger fish ( you never know you might get lucky but either way they can help)

But everyone has offered some really sound advice so far :)

I agree.

Latest posts