Raising Chickens

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This actually doesn't look like all the tough of a product to build-I'd love to have chickens, but it's illegal in my county. My neighbors already hate me-so I wouldn't care what they thought, but I'm 90% certain they'd call the police on me as they've done it for other less serious things.

Not only do chickens produce delicious, healthy eggs -- they also fertilize your yard.

She ain't wearin' those boots in her backyard because of delicious, healthy eggs. :?

Tools ??? Skills ??? Jim... it's a chicken coop !!! A circular saw, framing square, screw gun, some 1"x3"s, couple sheets of plywood, some screening or chicken wire, couple pounds of screws and a few hours on a weekend you can't fish and it's DONE. Go for it big fella !!! Doesn't need a round acrylic roof, windows or vents. Simple shed design, roof sloped front to back & paint it the same colors as your house so the neighbors won't bit@#$h too much.

Oh yeah... don't get any roosters. :wink:

My wife wants some to eat the bugs and ticks in the back yard. I'm only holding out because I know after about a week they will become 100% my responsibility.

Last summer I helped out my Dad while he had his Chemo/Radation treatments. I took care of his farm including about 300 chickens ( half of them babies). I LOVED IT! I wish we lived in an area where we could have them. The fresh eggs taste SOOO different from the horomone and steriod induced ones we buy in the local grocery store. I enjoyed the daily work in the coops as well :)
I even didn't mind the Rat snakes... got a few great pics even :eek:)
100_3298.jpg

I even didn't mind the Rat snakes... got a few great pics even :eek:)

That's a good looking rat snake. Looks thin though (except for the mass of food it just ate. I've been a fan of the elaphe species for many many years.

Sorry....I know it's off topic but I like snakes almost as much as fishing.

Me to Fender! This grey rat snake was a baby @ only 4ft. I had a nice fat one and about 5 ft long that I had to keep re-locating out of the coop to the woods. He would find his way back every few days.... I NEVER kill a snake (except a moccassin) I even leave the rattlers alone. I have a beautiful fat indigo in my yard , he is gorgeous! ( SORRY not meaning to get off topic from the chickens Snakes are a passion!) I only posted the pic ON topic of chicken life :)

poolie said:
My wife wants some to eat the bugs and ticks in the back yard. I'm only holding out because I know after about a week they will become 100% my responsibility.

i had the same idea once. i thought it was romantic to have some chickens roaming the yard. found out that chickens peck on the plants just as they would on the bugs. and their poop, aside from being unsanitary, would kill the grass. so i ended up keeping them in a coop. but i pitied the poor things, so i had to give them away to a friend who did not mind bald plants and "landmines". i get to have fresh eggs as royalty.

about the snakes, i like them too. very useful for keeping rodent populations down. but when a lot of dangerous ones pose a threat to the family or the chickens, getting a guinea fowl or two would rid your yard of snakes. sadly, they do not choose between harmless and posionous species.