Passing Of A Icon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnman

Reaction score
-- Myron Cope, the screechy-voiced announcer whose colorful catch phrases and twirling Terrible Towel became symbols of the Pittsburgh Steelers during an unrivaled 35 seasons in the broadcast booth, has died. He was 79.

Cope died Wednesday morning at a nursing home in Mount Lebanon, a Pittsburgh suburb, Joe Gordon, a former Steelers executive and a longtime friend of Cope's, told The Associated Press. Cope had been treated for respiratory problems and heart failure in recent months, Gordon said.

Kirwan: Cope will be missed
Ask anyone in Pittsburgh who Myron Cope was and the answer would be the voice of the city. He believed in the Steeler way and wanted to see great fundamentals from the players every week. He challenged the Steelers coaches and he did it with a great sense of humor, writes Pat Kirwan. Full story ... Cope's tenure from 1970-2004 as the color analyst on the Steelers' radio network is the longest in NFL history for a broadcaster with a single team and led to his induction into the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2005.

Even after retiring, Cope - a sports talk show host for 23 years - continued to appear in numerous radio, TV and print ads, emblematic of a local popularity that sometimes surpassed that of the stars he covered.

Beyond Pittsburgh's three rivers, Cope is best known for pioneering the Terrible Towel, the yellow cloth twirled by fans as a good luck charm at Steelers games since the mid-70s. The towel is arguably the best-known fan symbol of any major pro sports team, has raised millions of dollars for charity and is displayed at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I found this article at nfl.com

Myron Cope is a legend. I always thought he was hilarious. My dad would put him on the radio while driving home during post-game shows when I was young. I loved his crazy voice and enthusiasm. He will be missed.

There are some great reads in today's Post-Gazette: https://www.post-gazette.com/

Latest posts