NEW USE FOR MY PROJECT BOAT - A BIRD FEEDER

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My project boat is currently sitting upside down on the top of my camper. Today we saw 8 different species of warblers in our back yard and many were on the boat. Apparently either little seeds or bugs had fallen from the trees above and had collected on the spray rails. The birds were having a field day eating whatever it was that had collected on the boat. Typically warblers are very wary and don't sit still for but a second or two. They're constantly in motion as they move around the trees catching insects. These today could feast a long time without having to move so we got a good long look at them - and out in the open instead of brief glimpses in the trees!. Four of the ones we saw were first timers in our yard and 8 different species in one day beat the old one day record by 5. We also saw a Baltimore oriole yesterday and today, another first in our yard. We spend quite a bit of time and also some money to attract the birds so it's nice to be rewarded like this. I couldn't get pics today but I'll try if they return. Orioles summer here but the warblers are only passing through on their way north. We get maybe 2 weeks of watching warblers in the spring and maybe a little more in the fall. The spring birds are very colorful with lots of yellows and oranges and very striking and distinctive markings because mating is in full swing. In the fall they are very much more similar with a lot of browns and olive coloration. It takes really good birders to determine the species in the fall because they are so similar.

I should say for any who are trying to attract birds to their yards, water is possibly the most important thing you can do to get birds. It's at least as important as feeding them and sometimes, like very dry summers or in the winter when all the water in the great north has turned to ice, providing water is the most important thing you can do for the birds. I have 2 running fountains/birdbaths in my yard and have birds at them almost constantly drinking or bathing.

I've had some firsts in my yard this year too. An oriole, red breasted grossbeak, indigo bunting, goldfinches, a pair of mallards, and cedar waxwings. It's funny last summer when we first moved in we couldn't get anything to stop by, and now we have all kinds of visitors. We also have 4 robins nests in the yard. Only saw the oriole and one time I hope they return. I'm still waiting on hummingbirds too.

I love backyard bird watching. This year a pair of bluebirds built a nest just off our deck. Coolest thing is that they picked a house I'd put up years ago that is the shape of a fish.

poolie said:
I love backyard bird watching. This year a pair of bluebirds built a nest just off our deck. Coolest thing is that they picked a house I'd put up years ago that is the shape of a fish.

I'm not sure what kind of conditions you have in your yard but getting bluebirds to nest isn't easy. So, congrats on that!

bobberboy said:
poolie said:

I'm not sure what kind of conditions you have in your yard but getting bluebirds to nest isn't easy. So, congrats on that!

I rarely ever even see them in the back yard much less have them nest, so yeah it was a big treat.

The wife took several pics of them hanging on the nest at the hole as they were feeding their babies. I'll post one later this evening.