Found a well in my yard.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
It was cleverly hidden under a post light by the driveway. There was a flower box around the post light. I just figured the 4' sq. concrete slab was to support the red bricks used for the flower box. Today was the day I was going to bust up that concrete slab and remove the old post light. Started busting up the concrete and got about a 1/3 of it broken out. Pulled the pole light up and out. Grabbed the shovel to clean off the crap where the pole used to be and heard a splash. Looked downt eh hole the pole was stuck in and there is a metal pole about 4'" down that the pole sat on. Concrete is about 8" thick. Dropped another chunk of concrete downt he hole and heard a splash again. Got out the flashlight, low and behold about 10' down is water. The pipe is 4" in diameter and about 8" down, no idea how wide the well is, however I suspect its 24" concrete pipe. Check Illinois well data and it appears wells in this area are about 50-100' deep, most lined with 24" concrete.

This changes my plans to put in a new cooler light post. I was going to put in a cistern and connect it to my french drain, no gutters. All my roof water, 3' overhangs, dumps into 18" of rock and the french drain which runs out to the street. Now Im thinking of using hte well for watering the grass, garden, and washing the vehicles. Instead of a light post, Im thinking a three sided wishing well with a roof. Leaving the non street side (corner lot) open and keeping my garden hose inside out of sight.

Someone educates me on wells.

On a side note. My hernia surgery is in 2 weeks, and my shoulder surgery is a month after that. I need to get this work done before the surgery to make me whole again. Once the surgery happens I wont be able to do any heavy manual labor for a month or two. And YES, both hurt like hell at the end of the day.

Great find! We have drought conditions more often than not here in Atlanta. Would love to uncover something like that in my yard.

good news on the well. you can get a 120 volt well pump and hook it up to a switch and faucet to water the grass and shrubs
my neighbor has the same thing
just use caution and get the well opening covered and secured remember baby jessica
here in my township the water system is deep wells pumped into towers so if you have city water
you can't have a private well they will charge you for usage if they find out

It has a 6" thick concrete slab on top with a 4" diameter hole in the middle. No worries about dogs/babies falling in.

Figures about the city, anyway to get THIER cut.

Thinking of making a lighthouse to put on top of the slab. Nice little tie into fishing and water.

Go to your courthouse and look up your address in the plat book. More than likely you'll find a layout of everything on your property.

If it's only 10 foot down till water it might just be an old cistern.

Not all of old wells are lined with concrete. I use a hand dug well that is lined with bricks. Pretty old though.

Thanks for the blessings.

An old cistern would be even better. State of IL has some pretty strick rules and regulations on wells.

I'll have to dig out my house paper work and see if it says anything about either. I have paper work on the land back to when it was purchased from the governemnt by the original homesteader. I suspect my house sits on one of the original homestead sites and did find an old foundation about 2' below grade while putting in my french drain. The foundation had 8" thick walls, I found two of them about 20 feet apart. The paper work shows my house as one of the first in teh neighborhood, when it became a neighborhood instead of farm land. My street does curve like an old dirt road would.

Looking for ideas on a lighthouse to build. Thinking something about 8-10' tall. Maybe 3' in diameter at the base. Something witht he traditional narrowing to the light at the top. I googled lighthouses last night not realizing that there are thousands of them scattered up and down the coast of each ocean and the great lakes. Any famous fishing lighthouses?

Hanr3 said:
fender66 said:
That's a pretty cool find. I dream of stuff like that....but I don't know why.

I'd really like to find an old bomb shelter from the dawning of the nuclear aga.

Ha....we actually have those not far from me. There's a plot of land that is owned by the State and is used as a wildlife research facility. There are several bomb shelters hidden between the hills out there. All from around WW1 I believe. Very cool stuff and very well hidden.

great find but I would suggest you get a small sample of that water and take it someplace to have it tested...no telling if any bad thing is in there but it would be good to know before you pump it out onto your grass.
just thinking out loud.
good luck on your pending surgerys, I will add you to my "People to pray for"
peace

Update-

Talked to my wifes uncles and did some research.
Wifes uncles remember the wells in my neck of the woods were put in the mid 50's, they even knew the guys name who rode down the concrete tubes to mate them up.
According to the state, wells in my area average 50-100' deep.
They are considered "dug" wells, lined with 24" diameter concrete tubes.
The state has some very strick rules and regulations regarding wells.

I pulled out a fishing pole and dropped a practice plug down the hole to see how deep she was.
Splash at 6.5'. 7' end of shaft.
It appears my well has been properly sealed, and capped.
So, basically I have a 7' deep hole 24" in diameter covered by 6" thick concrete slab with a 4" hole. Pretty much worthless for anything other than a base for my new Lighthouse post light.

Next week I start building my lighthouse light. :D

I would have loved to see that, you in the yard, fishing pole in hand, jigging in the yard with the line going down into a concrete hole in the ground. Only thing could have made it better is if you were sitting in your boat while testing it. What do you think the neighbors said? :LOL2: :LOL2:

wasilvers said:
I would have loved to see that, you in the yard, fishing pole in hand, jigging in the yard with the line going down into a concrete hole in the ground. Only thing could have made it better is if you were sitting in your boat while testing it. What do you think the neighbors said? :LOL2: :LOL2:

I do park the boat next to it. :mrgreen:

I may just have to fill it, and practice fishing when I cant go to the lake. :mrgreen: