Citation Fish? Master Angler? Expert Angler? WHO KNEW?!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one100grand

Reaction score
I've been fishing for years and have always wanted to catch a state record fish. After a decent carp yesterday, some guy comes up and asked me if it was a citation :?: I've never heard this term before other than getting ticketed by the police. He explained to me citation fish and the master angler/expert angler program for VA. I've NEVER heard of this before....when I got home I had to check DGIF site - I couldn't believe this program existed and I never knew about it! I've caught 30+ citation size fish of various since October of last year #-o I feel like an idiot for not knowing this program existed, so I thought I'd make sure everyone knows about it!

:LOL2: No need to beat yourself up One. It happens. Most states have a similar program like this for the difference species they have. TN also has a "First Fish" award which can be presented to a child or grand child when they land their very first fish. Congrats on all the citation-like catches by the way!

Thanks! I'm certain now that I know about the program, I'll never catch another citation fish again. Hopefully I can find the big perch I've run into since last autumn - I think it would be awesome to have an expert angler or master angler patch.

That's pretty funny. I caught the 4th largest LMB caught and released in the state of Michigan in 1994. They sent a certificate and patch, for the life of me I can't find them now.

You'll getter done this year "one100grand", heck 30+ since October, pencil it in bro, pencil it in =D>

Ictalurus said:
That's pretty funny. I caught the 4th largest LMB caught and released in the state of Michigan in 1994. They sent a certificate and patch, for the life of me I can't find them now.
Thats ashame at least you have a picture, right?

shamoo said:
You'll getter done this year "one100grand", heck 30+ since October, pencil it in bro, pencil it in =D>

I'm making it a goal to try to get a Master Angler level 1 patch (sounds kind of like D&D or something) by the end of the year. My only problem is that I've caught a lot of citation size, but only in 3 species - white & yellow perch and blue catfish. I need to find 2 other species I can target and catch monsters this year :twisted: (and actually catch...unlike LM Bass - I target them and have exactly 1 5+ in my lifetime.)

Just so you know, you do have to pay $4 per citation. Not alot but it adds up if you register a lot of citations. You do get a nice certificate with each one.

Scott

Okay guys...I've been following this thread, but still not sure what a "Citation Fish" is.

Anyone care to clear this up for me? I think I read an article about this several years ago, but my memory is muddy.

A Citation sized fish is one that's at least the minimum size to be declared a trophy of that species. For example, in VA, a Citation LM is 22" or 8#. Pretty much every species that can be taken on rod & line has a citation size on it. The thing that astonished me the most about it was that there's a program set up by the state to acknowledge trophies caught of almost any species.

one100grand said:
A Citation sized fish is one that's at least the minimum size to be declared a trophy of that species. For example, in VA, a Citation LM is 22" or 8#. Pretty much every species that can be taken on rod & line has a citation size on it. The thing that astonished me the most about it was that there's a program set up by the state to acknowledge trophies caught of almost any species.[/quote
Thanks....I'm going to look this up in my state. I want to be famous too. :mrgreen:

Maryland has a new citation program this year. If you catch a citation size you may check it in or take a picture and have a witness sign it. The award includes a numbered ticket to the Maryland Seafood Festival at Sandy Point State Park on the Bay in the fall.They have a drawing every 15 mins. and give away everything from hats, rods, baits,shirts, even a boat and four wheeler. I think this is the second year for this. They claim its the biggest fishing contest in the world.....River

I checked that out on the DNR site for MD...I'm definitely going to get in on some of that!!! The only downside is that it looks like it's got to be recorded at a site rather than a photo - I mostly practice C&R so I don't know how I feel about the chance of keeping a fish to have it measured & it will likely die...

shamoo said:
Ictalurus said:
Thats ashame at least you have a picture, right?

I do, MI went by length for C&R fish. My bass was 27" long. The pic was 35mm, I'll see if I can find a print, scan and upload.

Latest posts