Raystown Lake

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bAcKpAiN

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I put my wife in charge of vacation this year...ok she calls the shots on vacation almost every year. :cry: Anyway, I sent a bunch of subliminal messages and well timed hints and it looks like were renting a place on Raystown in mid June.

What should I do for a week?! :twisted:
I have read rumors of large fishes there, but the lake is HUGE where would you go, and how would you fish it? Anyone ever fish there before?

bAcKpAiN said:
Hey guys,
I put my wife in charge of vacation this year...ok she calls the shots on vacation almost every year. :cry: Anyway, I sent a bunch of subliminal messages and well timed hints and it looks like were renting a place on Raystown in mid June.

What should I do for a week?! :twisted:
I have read rumors of large fishes there, but the lake is HUGE where would you go, and how would you fish it? Anyone ever fish there before?

My 1st choice in new waters is to troll, I cannot stress how important that is. Especially if you have a GPS or GPS/Sonar unit. You locate the active fish and plot it on your GPS. keep trolling to find different areas and pay attention to points and structure and other elements. Trolling is my number 1 technique to search out new waters. Reason is that you can cover vast amounts of water in a day.

good call i would do the same and keep your eyes on a deph finder or graph. also you can get a guide for a day or two. you can learn a whole lot from a guide that knows what to use and where

only fish a small section of the lake and key in on the bait in the water.also search google and call tackle stores in the area for info

I had a camp a Raystown Dam right up from the Shy Beaver Boat Launch and I swear I have fished every mile of that lake. The lake has gotten very comercialized over the last 15 years with alot of speed boats and other water crafts so if its to busy on the lake try getting up to where the Juniata River runs into the lake, That was always my hot spot for big bass and for very nice muskie. I saw a Toy Poodle disapears with a big splash right under the bridge.They were throwing the dog into the water and letting it swim back to the boat when a very large muskie slammed it like a top water bait. The owners were in shock but im sorry but it was one of the funniest things ive ever saw! There are some monster fish in that lake. Ive been wanting to hit that water again for a few years now, Its only about 2 hrs from my house. If you wanna do some trout fishing while your there try and hit Trouph creek, Its a small tributary that runs into Raystown Lake and is filled with nice trout!!!! Good luck and have a blast!!!!!

I would go to a local bait&tackle shop and pick their brains, buy some live bait for momz or the kids to use and have a good time. My cousins bought a couple houses near the lake and says its a great lake to fish, we were just talking about it sunday, I'll try to pick his brain for some spots.

Everyone I spoke to about Raystown agrees on one thing - FISH AT NIGHT!

There are stripers and wypers in there so big *** live bait at night shoudl produce

Night fishing would be the trick. If for no other reason there will be a hell of a lot less activity on the lake. Some of them bone heads with there speed boats do not know what respect for othere fishermen is. There are some monster stripers in that lake. There are monster everything in that lake!

Just going to pass on a little info I just got, couldnt get in touch with my cousin so I made a couple phone calls and was told to put in at 7 Points marina and fish around the Dam and the Island, he was catching Small Mouth, also, I believe hybrids. Its nestled between two Mountains, I would still check out the local baitshops.

Thanks guys for all of the info, hopefully I will have the motor going strong by then. I am thinking about a ride up to the Juniata River as well at least one day. It is getting closer by the day, I am starting to get excited.

Latest posts