Joplin Tornado and Grandpa's aluminum boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillagent

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my grandfather used to take me fishing in his 14' alumacraft boat. Legend has it that once grandpa got on the water, little David (me) was the only one who could make grandpa go back in early. During my first tour in Iraq my grandfather, who fought in WWII, fell ill with liver cancer but didn't tell anyone. I came home from Iraq and visited him. Two weeks later he passed away and I received his boat. The very same boat he used to take me fishing in. I'm convinced that he held on until he knew I was safe back home. A little over a year later I went back to Iraq. During a patrol we were engaged by a sniper. Everyone heard the gunshot. Except me. I heard the bullet go by. Which can only mean the sniper was aiming at me. Thanks Grandpa. Now I'm deployed in Afghanistan and my family is back home. IN JOPLIN. The tornado went about 1/2 a block south of my parents house. They received some damage, but the house is intact and everyone is ok. At the other end of town, the tornado when about 2 blocks north of my house where my wife and kids live. Minor damage, but everyone is ok. Everything in all my neighbor's back yards is gone. My fence is gone. The tree in the back yard is split in two. But my grandfather's 14' alumacraft boat is still sitting in the back yard. Scoff at me if you want. Call it what you will. I call it a sign. Thanks for looking out for me, Grandpa.

Great story!! I'm glad you are all alright and your houses are intact. That tornado pretty much flattened that town. Looks like a war zone. Thanks for your service!! =D> =D>

Wow. First off thank you for what you do. Glad your family/ property was spared. I can't imagine what the residents of Joplin are going through. I just received an email putting me on stand by as an emergency structural inspector with the Mo SAVE Coalition, as much as I would love to go help out, the situation with my wife being gone isn't going to allow it. My heart goes out to you guys, that is going to take a while to clean up.

Wow.....didn't know you were from Joplin. (might want to add that to you profile)....Thanks for your service too!

So happy that you all were safe. I was about 2 hours ahead of that storm heading east on Hwy 44 when it went through Joplin. I fought horrible winds all the way home. Found out yesterday that my cousin lost his house and truck but was able to save his dog. Can't even begin to imagine any of that.

I do believe that Grandpa was looking out for you. Last Saturday was the 7 year anniversary of my father's passing, and I know with all my heart that he's looking out for me and my family.

Do us all a favor.....when you hear someone yell, "GET DOWN".....don't stand up and dance. :LOL2: Stay safe!

God works in mysterious ways.

Im thinking the message is for you to get your kids out and go fishing. One day hopefully you will be able to take a Gandchild.

As I sit outside in my back yard watching the storm roll in, a neighbor down the street just drove by with his boat in tow.

Thank you for your service

:USA1:

Glad to hear everyone in your family is safe and that Grandpa's boat is too.

great story... thanks for your service... I would think that Grandpa was a very special man. I am glad your family is safe.

Hey Drillagent, where in Afghanistan are you? I just got to FOB Shank yesterday from NPTC, heading down to Kandahar on Tuesday morning. Got about 12 more FOB's to hit before I head home. Would be cool to run into another tinboater while I'm out here...

Thanks for all the kind words folks. As an update, mom and dad's house may get torn down. Still waiting on the insurance on that one. Their Class A RV also took some pretty good damage. Tree branch went strait through the windshield to the back bedroom. My house isn't too bad. Insurance guys will be out to take a look this week. And the insurance company totalled my jeep. But it still works and I'll have money to fix it up. All in all things are looking ok. They still don't have electricity, but luckily I bought a generator a couple years ago because of all the ice storms. Good heads up on that one.

Currently I'm located at a small FOB next to KAF. You'll have to let me know when you'll be here and we can link up at the boardwalk.

Thanks again everyone!

Sounds good about meeting up, should be there Tuesday morning for a week or so. Awfully sorry to hear about your family, we've been catchin up on all the tornado news on AFN and internet, glad that everyones ok. You can always rebuild a house...

SVOMike86,
If everything goes right, I should be in front of TGI Fridays on the boardwalk between 1030 and 1100 hrs. Hope to see you there. Don't forget my screen name.
Drillagent

First off, thank you for your service to our country! It is very much appreciated :USA1:

Second, thank you for sharing your story with us! We all have someone watching over us whether we want to think so or not.

God Bless & Good Fishing!

Hey, we got here at around 0930, but I didn't get a chance to look on the computer till about 1230 (gotta love bein in a bunk house) so I missed ya. We got down to the boardwalk at around dinner time. Man, that place is so much nicer than some of the stuff up north, except for the French PX with their $400 North face pants. What a joke. I'm not sure if we are heading back out there today or not. Will try to post to let you know what the deal is.

Latest posts