Lost a friend today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Today I had to lay my good friend, my oldest Husky named Chief, to rest. He was 14 years old, and I raised him from a pup, and he had started losing his hearing some. I was cutting the yard and made my first pass by the kennel, and as usual during warm weather, he was laying on the concrete in the corner where a large bush, just outside the kennel, provides some nice shade in the later part of the day. Normally when I pass by he'll raise his head and look as I go by, but this time he didn't budge. I stopped the mower and went over and found that he was gone. He was up and moving this morning, and also earlier in the day. It seems that he passed in his sleep, as he was curled-up in his normal nap position. His brother is a year younger, and he and Chief have been together since they were pups, so we're keeping a close eye on him to see if he shows any signs of grieving and stops eating/drinking. Chief loved children, and even at his age he would perk-up anytime the grandkids came around, and he'd run slowly with them around the yard. Gonna be hard breaking the news to them.

I lost Briar some time ago, just remember, "At rest for eternity, and forever faithful" is on her grave, it seems to help. My sincere wishes, it will get better. Gary.

Sorry for your loss.

My buddy is getting old too and I dread the day. I hope he goes peacefully in his sleep as well.

Sam

Sorry for your loss. I hope you can find some consolation in that Chief left this world as he came into it... naturally.

Greg, prayers sent for you and your family. I don't look forward to the day this happens to us, but it sounds like a great way for it to happen (since it will). Sleeping in a comfortable position..... Hope that's how I go too. [-o<

I am sorry for your loss. Find comfort in the fact that he went in his sleep and is no longer in any pain or discomfort.

I have a Lab mix that is (I think) going on 17 -18 (been so long I am really not sure). I got him when he was a year old and he has been my companion and friend ever since. I think his days are (literally) numbered as well. He spends a lot of time standing as I think he has trouble laying down, getting real thin (from eating less), walks very unstable and sometimes looses his balance and falls down and just lays there because it is hard to get back up. Good times are when he can make up and down the back steps to go outside... and he still is able to wag his tale when he see's me...(****...hear come the tears...)... He has been under the vets care and I do give him daily medication for pain. The vet says due to his age, there is not much more to be done.. I pray to GOD that "Buck" also goes in his sleep, but if he does not pass that way the sooner or later I will have to take him in for our last ride together...(ok, crying like a little girl now)... I will be ok (better) even after he goes knowing he will be in a better place.... I have to go now to get away from these **** tears...

Oh yea, my ex-lady left behind her littler wire-haired terrier that has become inserperable with Buck, so Buck does have a (dog) friend to keep him company and be there for him if he passes while I am at work....

I will keep this thread updated. Maybe I will change my user name to "Outdoorslittlegirl".....

But for now... Still...

Outdoorsman

Attachments

• Buck and Spike 2.jpg
    Buck and Spike 2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 0103100900 spike.jpg
    0103100900 spike.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,086
so sorry to hear about that theres nothing like loosing a man someone or something that your around so much. We had to put down one of our dogs a couple of years back. She had alot wrong with her and now shes not suffering.

Sorry to hear of your loss...It is tough and most of us have gone through it at one time or another... What it does is strengthen your resolve to "never forget" your friends no matter how many legs they may have
peace

Sorry to hear it WW.

I'm sure Chief was a lucky to dog have you as an owner and by his age, it sounds like he lived a full life. Prayers sent for you and the family.

All the comments are very much appreciated. Chief's brother Bandit is a bit loss without his brother, as they were raised together. Chief was a year older, but they came from the same parents, just different litters a year apart. Once again, thanks very much for all the kind comments.

I am so sorry for your loss. Mere words cannot express the sympathy...I know my boys are my best friends. I am sure Chief had a nice life with you as his friend. :cry:

Latest posts