Fishing from Boat Loading Unloading Dock

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etindoll

Reaction score
Am I the only one that can just pull my hair out when you head in from a day on the lake and the whole loading / unloading dock at the ramp is full of people fishing from it. I know that people have just as much right to fish from the bank as I do from my boat, but give me a break their is a 100 yds. of prime fishing from the bank at the ramp I use and people at just determined to fish from the boat dock when it is clearly posted loading/unloading only. Just wanted to vent.

etindoll said:
Am I the only one that can just pull my hair out when you head in from a day on the lake and the whole loading / unloading dock at the ramp is full of people fishing from it. I know that people have just as much right to fish from the bank as I do from my boat, but give me a break their is a 100 yds. of prime fishing from the bank at the ramp I use and people at just determined to fish from the boat dock when it is clearly posted loading/unloading only. Just wanted to vent.

Yep, that drives me nuts - even worse is when people swim around the launch, using it as their own personal private beach. I encounter that more than people fishing!

Venting is good for the soul and I've seen this too. I actually had to ask people to move so I don't back over them with my trailer. To top it off, it was dark and they were lighting the dock with their car lights. You couldn't see anything when pulling in except lights in your eyes.

Feel better now? :LOL2:

At the ramp that I use the most there is a group that will grapple for catfish in the evenings when people are taking their boats out.

the lake i go to the most its against the rules to fish from the bank at all, unless your on your property. you have to be in a boat to fish. but theres always a group of people who will hide under the bridge and fish and when you go under the bridge to leave the launch area you have to tell them to reel in so you dont get your prop tangled up, they act like the boats are getting in the way from their illegal fishing. irritates me

I guess I can count my blessings living in WI. The water is 60 degrees right now, so noone in their right mind is swimming at the ramp. I did enounter one fisherwoman at the dock. She was fishing off to the side opposite the ramp. I accidentally (honestly it was an accident!) ran over her line when my engine stalled and I drifted into it. I apologized and she did too. Of course, she could have reeled it in a bit when the engine stalled and she saw what was happening. Otherwise, I haven't had this issue.

Maybe you should put a rumor out that there are alligators or pirannas in the water?! :D

wasilvers said:
I guess I can count my blessings living in WI. The water is 60 degrees right now, so noone in their right mind is swimming at the ramp. I did enounter one fisherwoman at the dock. She was fishing off to the side opposite the ramp. I accidentally (honestly it was an accident!) ran over her line when my engine stalled and I drifted into it. I apologized and she did too. Of course, she could have reeled it in a bit when the engine stalled and she saw what was happening. Otherwise, I haven't had this issue.

Maybe you should put a rumor out that there are alligators or pirannas in the water?! :D

That is an idea but there is already rumors of alligators in the lake, but it doesn't stop anybody I will just have to live with it. If this is my biggest gripe I am doing good I guess being as our water temp on Monday was 79 degrees.

etindoll said:

Happened to me this past weekend. 1 lane boat ramp, guy and his kids fishing on teh ramp and asked me if I had enough room. I said maybe and backed on down, got the boat in the water. I pulled up the the ramp in my boat to pick up my buddy after he parked the truck and I drifted in to the guys stuff. I said excuse me and was very nice about it but he looked at me like he wanted to kill me. People can be ignorant at times. Gotta deal with it and be happy that you are going out on your boat and not sitting on the ramp. Does get under my skin though.

I only know of one lake near here where that goes on. It's Pyramid Lake in Southern California. The fisher people know what days the trout is stocked so they are on the launch ramp, literally, casting. There is a sign posted "No fishing from launch ramp" but you think anyone enforces it? Not the lake authorities who have an office RIGHT AT THE RAMP!

One day the ramp had the local anglers present and there was also a twenty footer boat tied up to one of the two docks and two guys fishing from it! :shock: I had to hand them my bow line so they could walk my boat around theirs! Needless to say, I don't patronize that lake anymore.

Now you know the ramp area isn't that deep so why not just let them throw nets and be done with it in a matter of minutes! :roll:

I'm going to be the one guy that sides with the folks fishing from the docks - as long as they're making an effort to keep their lines clear of you. I only got my first boat last year and before that, fished from docks quite a bit. The areas where launch docks were available for access, there's no way to get the same water exposure from shore, so if I wanted to fish there, I didn't have a choice. If these people see you coming and don't reel in, you've got every right to continue as normal and break off their lines - I believe it's all about courtesy on the water. Everybody has a right to be on the water as long as they aren't A-holes about it (then they deserve whatever karmic retribution is headed their way). When I fish from the boat, I'm as courteous as I can be to other boaters as well as those on the banks and I hold the same true when I'm on the bank. The thing that gets under my skin is when someone doesn't take others into account, whether they're on watercraft or shore. There's no excuse to be rude or an A-hole.

I can understand your frustration, but I can also see the others side as well. We have a boat and live right across from a lake. I on occasion will go over and fish from the dock, but I do say it is a matter of manners and consideration for another person, if a boat is trying to come in ( or go out) I will pull my line in and sit and wait for the boater to take care of what they need to and finish up before I cast back out.
I don't mind doing this and really the traffic is not busy at all at the ramp. I go out to just have some me time without hooking up the boat, just grabbing some chicken liver and fishing for cats or turtle.
I have noticed that when we DO drop the boat or come in, most fishermen/women will show me the same courtesy. or at least fish from the otherside or the end of the dock. ( I guess I am lucky in this respect) :) I have never encountered anyone fishing on the loading side of the dock yet.

I don't mind the people fishing from the docks...have not had any problems with them yet.

But...the ramp where I put my boat in has 3 sets of docks, 1 separates the 2 ramps, and 2 are off to the side for courtesy docks to tie your boat up to. What gets me are the people that put their boat in and tie up to the dock where the ramps are and then take 10 mins to park their truck and get back to the boat...they put the other docks over there for a reason!

Depends on if I'm coming or going...

Usually I try to be polite and tell folks that they can't park, swim or fish on the ramp, that it's a $150 DNR fine if they are caught and usually it's not an issue, they move. However, when I come back and it's getting dark and their crap is all over the ramp and they won't move I have been know to run into and over things with the trailer... 'Oops, sorry but you really shouldn't be camping on the ramp...' I've also been known to call in a couple public intoxication reports to 911 because I get tired of cleaning up Miller Lite cans on the ramp.

Worse than that is folks who bring their dogs down to the ramp and they get cut up by the glass or try to climb in your boat. Dogs and sharp hooks don't come apart very well.

Actually, thinking it over, the drunks with the Miller Lite cans that come over and lean on the boat while I'm trying to launch it get the cake. Gotta be nice so they don't 'F' with the truck or trailer but...

Jamie

I HAVE A SPINNERBAIT HANGING FROM MY REAR VIEW MIRROR FROM A GUY THAT CAST (FROM SHORE) INTO MY BOAT AND GOT SNAGGED ON THE SIDE AND HE ACTUALLY ASKED ME TO STOP AND UN HOOK IT... NEEDLESS TO SAY HE WAS MIGHTY UPSET WHEN I PULLED OUT MY POCKET KNIFE AND REMOVED THE SPINNERBAIT FROM HIS LINE AND TOLD HIM TO HAVE A NICE DAY, THEN CONTINUED ON MY WAY TO MY FAV SPOT. NEVER USED IT JUST THE PRINCIPLE IN THE MATTER :wink:

BOB350RX said:
I HAVE A SPINNERBAIT HANGING FROM MY REAR VIEW MIRROR FROM A GUY THAT CAST (FROM SHORE) INTO MY BOAT AND GOT SNAGGED ON THE SIDE AND HE ACTUALLY ASKED ME TO STOP AND UN HOOK IT... NEEDLESS TO SAY HE WAS MIGHTY UPSET WHEN I PULLED OUT MY POCKET KNIFE AND REMOVED THE SPINNERBAIT FROM HIS LINE AND TOLD HIM TO HAVE A NICE DAY, THEN CONTINUED ON MY WAY TO MY FAV SPOT. NEVER USED IT JUST THE PRINCIPLE IN THE MATTER :wink:

:LOL2: :LOL2:

Latest posts