Things to do in Gatlenburg TN?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonalex84

Reaction score
So I promised my girlfriend a trip that didnt involve me going hunting or fishing. So we decided to go to Gatlenburg and My best friend and his girlfriend are going to go too. I was wondering if anyone knows of any must-do's while we are down there. We are gonna leave this Thursday and be back early Sunday morning. Any input wopuld be great.

Top of my list would be Smokey Mt. National Park, plenty of awesome sights and lookouts. They also have a ski lift that takes you up a peak and offers a nice view of the are. Kind of a tourist town, lots of T-shirt and souvenir shops, girlfriends love it though! Seems like the pancake capitol of the south, you'll see what I mean. Best advice, let the women set the adgenda and just enjoy the mountain view.

HAHA yeah I've been once but it was without a girlfriend. We took the bikes and rode through deal's gap which was great. As far as the ski lift goes.... There is a reason that I am a fisherman and not a skier. I HATE HEIGHTS!!! Well, that and the fact that I live in KY. I had saw online something about a Sky-Tram for Ober Gatlenburg then saw some pictures from that and decided you could count me out on that. Luckily a buddy of mine is in a Bluegrass band down there and they will be playing down there while we are there so that will take up one night.

+1 for the drive into the mountains. We were there 2 years ago and loved it. Plenty for the kids to keep busy for 6 days. We rented a cabin in the mountain just outside of Gatlinburg above the visitors center and loved it. We even took my mother which to my surprise, worked out well.

I could sit for days and listen to the music that you find around town in various places so you are lucky to have a friend playing while you are there. I am a musician, so I'd listen to someone playing a tin can if they were good.

Also, try to find the bears. We found 5 of them in one night including a mother and her 2 cubs.

Here's a few pics, and yes..that's me "standing" in on upright bass with this duo for a few songs. I can play bass, but never played upright before. It actually sounded pretty good according to my wife.

Attachments

• DSC_0155.JPG
    DSC_0155.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 533
  • DSC_0111.JPG
    DSC_0111.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 533
  • DSC_0091.JPG
    DSC_0091.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 533
  • DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 533
Take a drive up to Klingman's Dome - highest spot in the Smokies and a beautiful drive to get there --- do the drive through Cades Cove - you'll see lots of wild life - deer, bear, etc. plus the old working corn mill....... take in a music show at one of the theaters in Pigeon Forge and try breakfast at the Old Mill Restaurant -- all touristy stuff, but all good times....

If you're into it - Dollywood has lots of great entertaiment - music, etc., and some fun things to do - besides the amusement rides - eagle/hawk shows, singers, train ride, etc....

plan ahead - there's lots to do there......

Have fun

+1 on Cades Cove. I think it's the most beautiful part of the park, but the hot tip is to get there early. The Cades Cove Loop Road opens at sunrise except for Wednesdays when it opens at 10:00 a.m. to give hikers and bicycle riders some time to tour the cove before traffic. When my wife and I go we always get there at sunrise and beat the late sleepers who arrive later. The traffic can get really heavy from mid-morning on and heaven help you if someone ahead of you spots a bear. Bear jams beat anything Friday on I-75 out of Atlanta has to offer. Personally, I'd avoid Pigeon Forge, but that's just me. I hate the place with a passion.

Personally, I'd avoid Pigeon Forge, but that's just me. I hate the place with a passion.

I thought the same thing. It looked reminds me of a GIANT ball of cotton candy that cost a fortune and cheap t-Shirt shops stuck all through it! :LOL2:

fender66 said:
Personally, I'd avoid Pigeon Forge, but that's just me. I hate the place with a passion.

I thought the same thing. It looked reminds me of a GIANT ball of cotton candy that cost a fortune and cheap t-Shirt shops stuck all through it! :LOL2:

I agree about Pigeon Forge - as far as it being tacky, commercialized, etc., but, there are some good show theaters there - and, I haven't been to Dollywood in many years - and have no desire to ever go back - I just remember it being entertaining for a day - especially if you have kids - and, again - I mean other than the amusement park stuff ??????? ---- Plus, the Old Mill Restaurant is a great meal....

Latest posts