Cricket with the Locals!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVOMike86

Reaction score
In the middle east, apparently, there is no sport bigger than Cricket. They even have an ESPN channel that shows 90% Cricket, and 10% Soccer. I have watched it on TV a couple of times, and although its hard as crap to follow, it looks fun. Well, every night after dinner, a group of 10-12 dudes out here play a little pick-up game behind the DFAC. I was bored so last night I watched them for about half an hour. I didn't understand anything that was going on so I went to my room and looked it up on Wikipedia. Its got a lot of rules, but I think I understand the basics now. Tonight I wanted to take pics of them playing, so I got my camera and headed out there. I took pics for a while then one of the guys asked if I wanted to bat. I played baseball for 12 years growing up, but wasn't sure if I'd be able to get the timing down, being that the ball is normally thrown at the ground in front of you and you have to hit it off the bounce. I did awesome (I think) and in one session of batting, I had two 6 point hits (basically a home run, hitting it out of the boundary in the air). Can't wait to go back tomorrow night...IMG_0023[1].JPGIMG_0031[2].JPGIMG_0024[1].JPGIMG_0030[1].JPGIMG_0033[2].JPG

That's pretty cool. Don't know anything about the game, but if it's competitive, and I'm sure it is....it has to be fun.

That's awesome. When the Navy sent me overseas, the ESPN channel was called ESPN World, it aired cricket and soccer, like you had said, 99.9% of the time. About 6 months after I arrived, it was fortunately switched to the ESPN I know and love.

Haha, these dudes live in sandals. We're playing on gravel thats probably twice the size of regular crush & run, and these guys just run around like nothing... As far as running, the only running the batters do is they have to run from the plate to the mound and back. They have to be in the "crease" which is like a 3ft section from the "wickets" (the red chair, and the black box). The outfielders run, but I guess they are just that used to wearing them. I mean they wouldn't win any races against a dude in cleats on a ballfield, but they definitely do ok.

Latest posts