Expensive Flip-flops...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVOMike86

Reaction score
So I basically live in flip-flops when I'm not at work. Generally I rock Flojos, which are a good name brand, good quality, fairly cheap ($20-25), and exceptionally comfortable (footbed is almost always made out of a memory foam-like foam rubber). So I get to Afghanistan, and everyone wears Crocs. I have a pair, and they're decent, but not flip-flops. So I start shopping around. The only ones I can find for weeks and weeks are the crappy "shower shoes" type for about a buck at all the PX's. I get to Kandahar and they have a store that sells pretty much nothing but Merrell and Keen shoes. I spy a slick looking pair of Merrell's. Try them on, they fit great, I ask the price. $75! I said the hell with it, I've worn Merrell boots and like them, so I'll splurge. Man, I'm never going back. These suckers are great... Just thought I'd let yall know. :D

I'm a big fan of Merrell products, and although they're not sandals, I have a pair of slip-on shoes by them (bought at BPS https://www.basspro.com/Merrell-Wor...Shoes-for-Men-Black/product/10207269/-1690634 ) that I've worn extensively going on 3 years now (I like to get my monies worth out of products). Although the style of the uppers are very slightly different than what I have, they are really comfortable, especially when standing on concrete floors all day at work. As far as sandals, I wear them occasionally, and found a pair Teva's while in Gatlinburg last summer. Good footbed, traction, and support: https://www.teva.com/productdetails.aspx?g=m&productID=6111&model=Agate Thong . My dad was an infantry soldier, and always told us that you have to take care of your feet, and it starts with proper footwear.

I've recently started to wear the 'hiking" style boots like Merrels. I prefer Keen, because I can wear a 13, and Merrels run a little small so I have to get a 14. Not easy to find. I love them, great quality shoes that are comfortable. Can't beat that. And I agree with your Dad, even though they cost $100-120, THEY take care of your feet...

you have to take care of your feet, and it starts with proper footwear.

Due to Plantar fasciitis, :cry: I have to wear a shoe with proper arch support. I've found that Birkenstocks do the job for me. The shoes that I wear every day cost me just under $200 a pair....I have two pair...one black, one brown and they've lasted me 3 years so far without any problems. If I wear something other than my birks....after about 4 hours....I can't even stand up anymore without horrible pain.

+10 on the proper footwear!

I used to wear "Birki's" when I was a kid, they had a cheaper upper but basically the same sole for like $50. My dad has had the same pair of Birkenstocks for at least 25 years, just keeps getting them re-soled. **** hippies :lol:

My wife had to have laproscopic surgery for Plantar Fasciitis a few years ago. It got so bad she could barely walk at times.

On a side note, the youngsters of today who wear the non-supportive, un-tied, flat, skateboarder-style shoes will regret it when they get older. Speaking from experience, do not try explaining it to them though, as they do know everything, lol.

I used to wear shoes like that for a long time, hey, what kid didn't. But as I get older (a whopping 28) I find myself liking "older" styled shoes-like Clarks, Rockports, stuff like that. I entered into the Simms shoe contest, and saw a pair on there that made me drool, called the "Harbor". Man they are awesome, but I wouldn't have been caught dead even looking at them 10 years ago. $159 is a little high for me, but Christmas might come early, you never know...

Lol. It's quite common with the locals, but no one would dare say anything. In the states, you never know who's carrying a gun, over here, you never know who's carrying a suicide bomb...

BassAddict said:
Might be off subject but how is wearing socks with sandals viewed in Afghanistan. Is it view as a thing of ridicule like in the states?

WHAT??? Socks and sandals are ridiculed in the states? #-o

Attachments

• 24819bpthe-simpsons-homer-d-oh-posters.jpg
    24819bpthe-simpsons-homer-d-oh-posters.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,319
You know crocs makes "flip flops" too, right? I have some and they are extreemly comfortable. Not the closed toe things, real flip flops.

Yeah, my Dad has a pair of those as well and loves them. I on the other hand have "Flintstone Feet" that are as wide as they are long, so they dont fit well at all :(

I sold athletic footwear for years. All I can say is you get what you pay for! And you won't ever regret buying a better pair of shoes. You body will thank you about age 40

SVOMike86 said:
I on the other hand have "Flintstone Feet" that are as wide as they are long, so they dont fit well at all :(
Mine are too, but after wearing them a bit they stretched out and now are just fine.

Latest posts