New Forum Woes...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVOMike86

Reaction score
So my Wife bought a new truck (new to us, also acting as my new tow rig :D ). A 2001 Land Rover Discovery. 80k miles, immaculately clean, meticulously maintained, and we paid about 3k less than book. So we're happy campers about that. So, being the fan of Forums that I am (I currently troll here approximately 23 hours a day since I've been in Afghanistan), I decided to find a Land Rover forum to join. First off, there are about 3 billion Land Rover Forums on the net. I found one that seems to be huge and reputable, so I joined. Now, Land Rovers are known for not being the most reliable vehicles around, so that was the first reason to try and find this site, to gain insight on what might (will) go wrong, and the easiest and cheapest ways to fix it (sounds a lot like tinboats :) ). Second reason to join was to find all the cool stuff you can do to those things. Anyways, right off the bat, I find this guy named "DiscoMike". He's got 20,000 (literal) posts on this site. He seems exceptionally knowledgable about everything that can go wrong, so I make a little mental note about that. That was the end of the coolness. These dudes (more than just a couple, but obviously not all of them) are complete a**holes. It seems like all they do is call out other peoples crap and bicker back and forth about who "thinks" hes a mechanic, versus who "really is" a mechanic. It was ridiculous watching these two guys go back and forth for 7 (SEVEN!) pages while this poor dude is trying to figure out how his oil pump exploded and went through the timing cover. Anyways, I just wanted to rant for a little bit and let yall know that even though things might get a little heated here every once in a while, its nothing like the crap I just witnessed, and even though I've never met any of you guys in person, I feel like everyone is cool enough to be called a friend. AND, of all the forums I think I have ever been to, Tinboats.net is by far the most well put together, logical, and efficient forum of all. Lucky for us. And I think I deserve some decals for that last remark. :lol:
264839_10150246234315073_718860072_7564194_3567320_n.jpg
263104_10150246234155073_718860072_7564191_3342876_s.jpg

Hey...that's an awesome ride (for a piece of crap). Hope you get lots of use out of it (before it dies on the side of the road). Sounds like you got a great deal on it too (even though you really got royally screwed).

:LOL2: :LOL2:

Sorry couldn't help myself.

You're right....this is the best place to be if you aren't out fishing!

Didn't know you were a Land Rover owner... :lol: The truck was my Wifes best friends. He has already replaced the front drive shaft, head gaskets, radiator, and a couple other "normal" problem parts. The way I look at it is we wont be able to find another SUV in the shape this is in, that gets better gas mileage, for what we payed. AND, before I started in the industry I'm in now, I worked on cars for 10 years, so I'm actually kinda lookin forward to wrenching on something (betcha never heard someone say that before)...

I HATE wrenching...but I've done it all. Guess I should be grateful that God gave me the ability to do it and save money. Just 2 weeks ago, my radiator gave way and I had a new one in place about 2 hours after I discovered it. Was a pretty easy job...except for the sweating. :shock:

I totally agree on having the God-given ability to work on cars. Its great until, just like winning the lottery, you have "friends" crawling out of the woodwork to have something done for a deal. What do you drive?

What do you drive?

I drive my kids crazy and.....
2010 Grand Caravan (wife's)
2000 Dodge Neon (My gas mileage commuter car with 160XXX all me miles)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 w/ 150XXX miles (inherited from my father in law)

Also...they already come out of the woodwork. I maintain the brakes on all my families cars and about 3 or 4 friends cars. Total is around 14 cars/trucks/vans.

Lol. I have almost as many cars to maintain. Reason for buying this truck is a couple weeks before I left for Afghanistan the tranny in my Ranger went out leaving us with one car. She drives a 98 Honda Civic (40mpg) to and from work. She drives approx 50-70 miles a day, as a care taker for a 5yo girl with cerebral palsy. Obviously, Civics arent built to handle wheelchairs so we needed something bigger. Im already counting on the fact that shes not gonna dig the gas mileage, and let me drive the truck to work except for days of doctors appt's and the like. I only live 2.5 miles from work, and maybe drive a total of 10 miles a day, so the extra awesome 15-18mpg that we'll see shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I only live 2.5 miles from work, and maybe drive a total of 10 miles a day

23 miles one way for my drive to work. I believe it's the same distance when I drive home too...but it seems about 10 miles longer! :LOL2:

And I think I deserve some decals for that last remark.

Good luck on that -- I begged Jim to let me buy some and can't get any. :LOL2:

I always thought the Land Rovers were very cool looking but I have had such great luck with the Explorers that I will probably stick with them or go to an Expedition. I have about 1/2 mile to work...on nice days I ride my mountain bike in to work.

And you are right TinBoats ROCKS!!!

Those rigs really ain't bad to work on. Keep fresh coolant in it those headgaskets are bad to leak. A friend just brought me the same rig with the head tore apart in boxs. Don't take advice from kids on them forums lol anybody who's.going to argue about whose better doesn't turn wrenches for a living

Congress on the sweet rig!

I agree. Good forums with good members are very hard to find. I'm a huge fan of forums. They can be one of the best places to get info that you can't find anywhere else.

Here's a few good ones I use.
www.polarisatvforums.com
www.vtxcafe.com
www.vtxoa.com
www.fordf150forum.com
https://sa750.net/

fender66 said:
Hey...that's an awesome ride (for a piece of crap). Hope you get lots of use out of it (before it dies on the side of the road). Sounds like you got a great deal on it too (even though you really got royally screwed).

:LOL2: :LOL2:

Sorry couldn't help myself.

You're right....this is the best place to be if you aren't out fishing!
:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: This site is awsum, once you troll it your hooked and Thank-you for your service =D> :USA1:

My mother is a retired nurse's aide, LVN or something like that who also did in home care of patients. She drove a brand new 1984 Honda Civic wagon, not really sure of the year, but when she traded it in for a new car, it had the original brakes and tires! Of course, living and working in Hawaii accounted for the low mileage. I think she only had about 24,000 miles on it when she traded it in. :shock:

As for car forums, yup, been on a few of them and yes, egos do show up. My car is bigger, badder, faster, cooler, yada yada yada..........................What really irked me is when I gave advice to someone with a question (specialty car forum) only because I've been through the problem before, another more "seasoned" member will give the same advice later like I wasn't there. Oh well, sticks and stones.....................

I'm a moderator on www.fordification.com for the '67-72 ford trucks. Pissing contests don't go very far there.

That Land Rover looks like a prime candidate for a 4BT swap.

Jamie

HA! That's a little more work than I'm interested in right now. I'd love a turbo diesel, but I think I'd buy one in a new car before I took the time to convert. Sounds fun though, maybe when this one isn't a daily driver anymore I'd consider it...

Latest posts