NADA guides

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassGeek54

Reaction score
I was trying to get an idea on what outboard motors are worth...sort of a Kelly BlueBook deal on outboards and I came across this link called NADA Guides. If these guys are right, there are a lot of over priced asking prices for motors. Have you guys seen these? Does anyone have a better way to determine values on outboards?

NADA grossly underestimates the value of used outboards. My mint 1998 8 HP Evinrude goes for about $80 on NADA, would sell for $400 - $600 or more.

BassGeek54 said:
Does anyone have a better way to determine values on outboards?

Motors are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Cruise Craiglist and get a general idea of what you are looking for in your area.

NADA grossly underestimates the value of used outboards. My mint 1998 8 HP Evinrude goes for about $80 on NADA, would sell for $400 - $600 or more.

Yeah -- why do they do that. I look at CL everyday for stuff within about 80 miles of me and I have never seen any prices like they quote. Kelly Bluebook is pretty close on cars but these guys are no help. I was trying to get a reasonable idea so I could bargin without being insulting.

Yep, Kelly for cars is good, but none of the boat/motor value sites are worth a crap. Don't know why - I guess they de-valuate them based on age???? Value of used boats/motors depends on where you live - motor might be worth more in an area that is slim pickens vs. an area with lots of lakes and marinas around. Example: I just sold a 1995 Johnson 9.9 for $950 - in other areas, it might be worth more - or less. But NADA says it's worth about $200

I always understood that a "mint" perfectly running outboard is worth about $100 per hp 9.9's are a dime a dozen around me, but everyone who deals with used outboards have a waiting list for used OMC 25's since the state upped the hp limits from 9.9 to 25 in state parks.

Latest posts