irony at its finest

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200racing

Reaction score
https://news.yahoo.com/ny-motorcyclis...143217859.html

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

They don't require helmets in PA anymore, and it irritates me a little, my truck has to have a gov't mandated crash rating and I have airbags, but I'll sure get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt(I do wear it). -or- I could choose to do 55 with no protection whatsoever? It doesn't make sense to me.

They don't require helmets in PA anymore, and it irritates me a little, my truck has to have a gov't mandated crash rating and I have airbags, but I'll sure get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt(I do wear it). -or- I could choose to do 55 with no protection whatsoever? It doesn't make sense to me.

+1
I have been saying that since they changed that law too.

I think the law should be anything cabable of going over 'X' MPH, scooters and bikes included. In MD scooters don't need tags or insurance or even a helmet but they feel they should be able to run the middle of the roadway...

Jamie

Ever get a hornet caught inside a helmet?????????????
Helmets do not allow you to hear..........
Peripheral vision is greatly reduced by a helmet.
LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE.

I don't have a dog in this fight so don't shoot the messenger. As I understand it, the reason helmets are required in some states is that the estimated cost of lifelong medical care from a TBI (traumatic brain injury) is between $3-4 million. Needless to say, most motorcycle riders don't carry a policy that will cover that amount, so once the amount of coverage is used up someone else is footing the bill. The lawmakers believe that reducing the possibility of suffering a TBI through use of a helmet is preferable to spreading the cost of the medical care from a rider who suffers a TBI through non-use of one.

hossthehermit said:

I'm not saying you should have to wear one, but LET THOSE WHO DRIVE DECIDE wheather they want to wear a seatbelt or not.

pamountainman said:
hossthehermit said:

I'm not saying you should have to wear one, but LET THOSE WHO DRIVE DECIDE wheather they want to wear a seatbelt or not.

they do, just move to New Hampshire

I live in Illinois which has no helmet laws. But I always wore my helmet when I rode. My only complaint was how hot it got in the summer...but it still beat havin my head splattered on the road.

As far as the reduced vision...I never had a problem with that.

I agree you cannot hear as well with a helmet on.

hossthehermit said:

They make helmets that don't impede peripheral vision or hearing. They don't offer as much protection as a full, but they are legal here and better than nothing IMO. Never had a hornet in my helmet. Once had a fly in my eye that almost made me die. Almost put the shocks on the rocks and scared me out of my socks. Could have caused a crack in my back. Seriously though, I sold my bike and bought a boat. When I drown, at least there will be something left to identify me.

I'm with you, Benjineer. Years ago I had to lay a Triumph 650 down to avoid hitting a woman who turned left in front of me. I didn't break anything but there wasn't a patch of skin as big as a quarter on my left side. Sold the bike the next week and took up skydiving. 1100 skydives later I'm still ticking.

benjineer said:
Never had a hornet in my helmet. Once had a fly in my eye that almost made me die. Almost put the shocks on the rocks and scared me out of my socks. Could have caused a crack in my back.

LOL. Awesome...