take a minute protect your info. bad website.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200racing

Reaction score
If you like to limit what personal info about you is out there, here's one to know about.

There's a site called Spokeo (https://www.spokeo.com/) that's a new online USA phone book w/personal info: pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value and photo, income, age, marital status, number of kids, family members, etc.

You can remove yourself. Search for yourself on their site (don't buy access), copy that URL of your page, then go to bottom of the page & click on the PRIVACY button to remove yourself.

From here.....

Okay, here's the deal. Spokeo.com is basically a search engine that aggregates information pertaining to individual names, email addresses, and phone numbers from online public sources such as phone books, real estate listings, and government records, plus profile entries from websites like Facebook, MySpace, Amazon.com, LinkedIn, Flickr, and many others (the Spokeo site lists upwards of 50 potential data sources).

Similar "people search" services include Pipl, ZoomInfo, ZabaSearch, Radaris, and Intelius.

It can indeed be shocking to see how much information can be dug up about you in 15 seconds — your home address, your marital status, religion, hobbies, names of friends and family members, personal photos, a satellite image of your home, even your estimated income and credit score.

Just as troubling is the fact that no one fact-checks the assembled data, meaning it can be partially or wholly incorrect.

The thing is, if Spokeo can find it, the info is publicly available and can be found online by anyone, with or without the convenience of a Spokeo.com.

The website does provide a "Privacy" form whereby you can delete your individual listing (note: some users report this is easier said than done), but don't miss the critical point: simply removing your search results from Spokeo.com doesn't prevent anyone from accessing the data by other means.

To protect your personal data on social networking services, you must either refrain from providing it to sites like MySpace and Facebook in the first place, or adjust your privacy settings on each website accordingly. Also, if your phone number and address are listed in the White Pages, that information is publicly accessible online, as are some government records (accessibility varies by state) and real estate listings.

That's pretty creepy. It had 2 listings for me from where I lived in college to where I lived before I moved to my current house. Even had pics of both houses. Not a comfortable feeling.

It says I live in a house that I haven't lived in for 3 years, also saying that I've lived there for 11 years (I only lived there for 2), and the picture it shows is of the house across the street. So, I think I'm safe [-o<

I found several mistakes also... One I am grateful for is it lists an old e-mail address.... that ought to help with the BS in my in box.

SEarch away.
Our phone number is unlisted and has been for decades. Besides it shows 6 of me in different states. :mrgreen: