Heading to the Florida Keys

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
With the Wife and kids.

We are flying to Ft. Lauderdale and Driving all the way down.

Who has been?

Any recommendations for Hotels, Food, and things to do?

Im going to try to sneak in 1 morning of fishing saltwater :wink:

I went this past summer, on a biology trip. We were supposed to learn some sampling techniques and such. It didn't work that way at all, but that is a different story.
I can tell you it is an interesting place - very very touristie. It is also a haven for dropouts and homosexuals. Key West, the town, isn't exactly what I would call family entertainment, at least not after dark.

However, if you stay away from the main touristie areas it isn't bad at all. The water is clear, very good snorkeling. If you don't have such, get some gear and snorkel. You can get a servicable kit online at Campmor.com for a good price. We went out to Looe (sp?) Key for that. Was neat to snorkel with 6' tarpon and 'cuda. You have to have a boat, as it is well offshore.
Good fishing everywhere.

Take SUNSCREEN. Take lots of it. The sun there is at a much higher angle than where you are from, and it will bake you. It is easy to underestimate it. Consider also that everything is sand, paved or crushed coral, it compounds the effect. Bullfrog makes a product called "mosquito coast" that is water proof, deet free sunscreen and repellent. Good stuff.

We stayed at a resort of sorts. It had kitchenettes, so it wasn't that expensive. Groceries are the same price there as here (Georgia).

While there, bear in mind that the Keys are a very disturbed habitat. For the millions of fish and such you will see, remember that just a couple short decades ago it was far far better.

Other than those couple of caveats, you should enjoy it. Have fun.

I've been to Key West 5 or 6 times. Unfortunately each time was with the Navy and the places I went, you prolly won't be bringing the wife and kids. :lol:

...We just want a place to swim in clear water, cool places to eat, a few sites to see.

Heck, you don't have to go to the Keys for that! Casa Waterwings can hook you up...................:
Swimming: I can fill-up the grandkids wading pool
Cool eateries: We have A/C, FM radio, and if you like, the outside table has an umbrella to block the sun.
Sites to see: Once the flowers are in bloom we can take you on a guided tour of the backyard, past the arbor, then past the dog kennel back to the deck.

Let us know your arrival time and we'll have some glasses of sweet tea waiting.

\:D/

Jim said:
With the Wife and kids.

Who has been?

ahhhh good ole ft lauderdale....*sigh* have fun Jimmy! We lived in Coconut Creek for 2 years ...not too far from the keys really..never ventured down there. Take pics! and grab some coconut patties at the airport hehe

Waterwings said:
...We just want a place to swim in clear water, cool places to eat, a few sites to see.

Heck, you don't have to go to the Keys for that! Casa Waterwings can hook you up...................:
Swimming: I can fill-up the grandkids wading pool
Cool eateries: We have A/C, FM radio, and if you like, the outside table has an umbrella to block the sun.
Sites to see: Once the flowers are in bloom we can take you on a guided tour of the backyard, past the arbor, then past the dog kennel back to the deck.

Let us know your arrival time and we'll have some glasses of sweet tea waiting.

\:D/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never been my self but I would love to get down there and fish the flats and groves, any idea of what type of fishing your gonna do?

I used to go to taverneer creek every winter My father in law lived there. Be sure to hit the MArathon key bass pro shops.

Jim said:
With the Wife and kids.
Who has been?

Awesome man have a great trip! I was there once about 7 years ago... spring break... college.

Awesome Dueling piano bar in Fort Myers.

Beaches and a club in the Keys...

:beer:

I can't really remember much more.

:sick:

I went when I was 8 or 9. We took the Amtrak Train to the end of the line and drove 160 or 190 or something like that miles to the end. We stayed at a hotel and booked a charter from the local marina. I caught blue and rainbow runners and king mackerel, and my dad caught barracudas. I can't remember specifics other than that though.

My friend went down there more recently and was fighting a big tarpon (he says) by the 7 mile bridge and had a huge hammerhead come up and take a swipe at it beside the boat. He said that made them cancel their plan of snorkeling later on in the day.

Jim, check out this site. Seems to have some pretty good information. I haven't been down to the keys since '83 when I went on a dive vacation with my father. We flew into Marathon out of Miami and stayed at a Holiday Inn right on the main (read only) road.

Both Marathon and Big Pine Key are very nice places and more family oriented than Key West. Lots of swimming & snorkeling (Gulf side is like a mill pond), fishing and plenty of cool tourist type activities there for the kids. There are some excellent local restaraunts (make reservations if they will take them or show up early or you'll wait in line for at least an hour).

Have a ball and enjoy the warm weather.

Latest posts