Dilemma....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonman

Reaction score
I have and old fishing reel that my Dad left to me when he died. Dad was an advid fisherman. he went once a week untill the last year of his life. We went to the river several times right before he passed. We scattered his ashes in his favorite fishing spot. So I have this rod and reel. He had had the rig all my life. It was his favorite. My question Should I continue fishing with it or let it retire. I hate the thought of breaking it or messing it up somehow, just as much as letting it sit in the garage and cover with dust. What do you guys think use it or retire it. The reel is a Garcia/Mitchell made in france.

You pose quite the dilemma...

The only advice I can give comes from a different but similar situation with some of my grandfather's old fishing gear. To help you through this juncture in your quest I too shall share a story:

My grandfather was an avid angler as well. He did not have the opportunity to drop a line in the water as often as your father, but he did enjoy the reprieve that many of us find in the solace of a tranquil morning on the lake. My grandfather was very old when I was born, and died when I was only 6. My memories of him are faded at best, but I do remember him taking me out in the back yard when I was a young lad and teaching me to cast, reel in, and some other simple basics that mystify children when they first hold a rod in their hands. The rod I always remember him having was a telescopic bamboo job of unknown age or maker. It was meticulously housed in a hard, velvet-lined case similar to a flute or other small instrument. I have no idea of it's value, but those who saw it claimed it was truly an antique and worth more than I realized.

From my modest introduction at 6, and having been raised by my mother and grandmother who didn't really know that much about fishing, I had not returned to the sport until I was 10 or 12. One summer I was shore fishing with his old rod and got my lure caught in the rocks far enough off shore that it was visible, but not reachable. In the inexperience of my youth, I tried...to hard...to dislodge my snag and broke the rod. It broke my heart then, before I even knew what I really had...a link to my grandfather's love of fishing...and my heart still stings a little today as I reminisce about him, this story, and memories of long ago. I do still have some of his lures and various old tackle, but nothing as prized as a rod or reel. These items I rarely use, but often carry for good luck fishing, or simply keep around to remind me of him as I pack my tackle box enjoying a pipe as he used to many-a-night.

I would say that retiring the rod and reel would be a disservice to gear's earned history and disrespectful to your father. That said, I don't believe that such "special" items should be subject to the abuse that we put our day-to-day gear through.

Such things should be kept in working order, perhaps displayed when not in use, but used sparingly. I would take the gear, and memories of your father out on special occasions (father's day, perhaps his birthday, anniversary of his death, whatever day you deem appropriate really) and use them then. On those special occasions share the stories with your children, or fishing mates, and let the memories of your father live on, fish on, beyond his earthly life.

I'd imagine that such respect of spirit and tradition would bring you some of the greatest luck you've ever had on the water...if not...I'm sure that it would warm your heart with memories of time, priceless time, you shared with your dad.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be the right thing...just take the time, be open minded, and the answer will come.

Best of luck.

Sorry for your loss my friend :cry: .

I would use it sparingly and store it out of harms way, perhaps get a rod sleeve and a reel cover for it.

I BELIEVE THE LAST POSTS COVERED IT ALL NICELY DONE GUYS, I TOO HAVE MANY RODS THAT HAVE A DEEPER SENTIMENTAL VALUE THAT FAR EXCEEDS THIER WORTH, AND THEY ONLY GET USED SPARINGLY.

Guys thanks for your time in posting. I will take all of your advice and get me a sleeve for the rod and reel and use it sparingly on special occasions. Thanks again for your time in posting and your willingness to help me out.

azekologi said:
You pose quite the dilemma...

The only advice I can give comes from a different but similar situation with some of my grandfather's old fishing gear. To help you through this juncture in your quest I too shall share a story:

My grandfather was an avid angler as well. He did not have the opportunity to drop a line in the water as often as your father, but he did enjoy the reprieve that many of us find in the solace of a tranquil morning on the lake. My grandfather was very old when I was born, and died when I was only 6. My memories of him are faded at best, but I do remember him taking me out in the back yard when I was a young lad and teaching me to cast, reel in, and some other simple basics that mystify children when they first hold a rod in their hands. The rod I always remember him having was a telescopic bamboo job of unknown age or maker. It was meticulously housed in a hard, velvet-lined case similar to a flute or other small instrument. I have no idea of it's value, but those who saw it claimed it was truly an antique and worth more than I realized.

From my modest introduction at 6, and having been raised by my mother and grandmother who didn't really know that much about fishing, I had not returned to the sport until I was 10 or 12. One summer I was shore fishing with his old rod and got my lure caught in the rocks far enough off shore that it was visible, but not reachable. In the inexperience of my youth, I tried...to hard...to dislodge my snag and broke the rod. It broke my heart then, before I even knew what I really had...a link to my grandfather's love of fishing...and my heart still stings a little today as I reminisce about him, this story, and memories of long ago. I do still have some of his lures and various old tackle, but nothing as prized as a rod or reel. These items I rarely use, but often carry for good luck fishing, or simply keep around to remind me of him as I pack my tackle box enjoying a pipe as he used to many-a-night.

I would say that retiring the rod and reel would be a disservice to gear's earned history and disrespectful to your father. That said, I don't believe that such "special" items should be subject to the abuse that we put our day-to-day gear through.

Such things should be kept in working order, perhaps displayed when not in use, but used sparingly. I would take the gear, and memories of your father out on special occasions (father's day, perhaps his birthday, anniversary of his death, whatever day you deem appropriate really) and use them then. On those special occasions share the stories with your children, or fishing mates, and let the memories of your father live on, fish on, beyond his earthly life.

I'd imagine that such respect of spirit and tradition would bring you some of the greatest luck you've ever had on the water...if not...I'm sure that it would warm your heart with memories of time, priceless time, you shared with your dad.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be the right thing...just take the time, be open minded, and the answer will come.

Best of luck.

x2

I would build a shadow box display it with some of your fishing memory photo's and any special or favorite tackle he may have used. Take it out & use it on special days in memory of him as suggested in early posts.

I lost my dad to cancer in 8 weeks time. Perfectly healthy one day, 8 weeks later, gone. I have all of his gear and smile every time it's used. My daughter fishes with it mostly. I know he'd be thrilled that we are enjoying it. But....I do have some of his stuff that I just can't touch.....like your dad's reel (possibly). I did get most of his clothes cause I wear the same size shirt that he did. I actually have a t-shirt that he folded and put in his drawer. It's in my drawer and has never been unfolded for 8+ years. It all depends on what it is and how it hits home with you....but I do know you are NOT alone. My prayers go out to you. Either way...I hope you smile and remember a good time every time you see that reel.

fender66 said:
I lost my dad to cancer in 8 weeks time. Perfectly healthy one day, 8 weeks later, gone. I have all of his gear and smile every time it's used. My daughter fishes with it mostly. I know he'd be thrilled that we are enjoying it. But....I do have some of his stuff that I just can't touch.....like your dad's reel (possibly). I did get most of his clothes cause I wear the same size shirt that he did. I actually have a t-shirt that he folded and put in his drawer. It's in my drawer and has never been unfolded for 8+ years. It all depends on what it is and how it hits home with you....but I do know you are NOT alone. My prayers go out to you. Either way...I hope you smile and remember a good time every time you see that reel.

Much-luv, fender. (((Manhugs))) 8)

fender66 said:

Fender, I am Truly sorry for you loss. I lost my dad in much the same way, in a short time to cancer.

Thanks to everyone who read and posted. I will try to honor my Dad by continuing to occasionally use the rig. I will find fond memorys while using it, im sure. Thanks again

Me being young, I still have my father. But at the age of 23 (now 24), I have lost all my grandparents. I never met either of my grandpas (they both died before I was born) so I was very close to my grandmothers.

My Dad has a crappie pole that was his father's, and it will some day be mine. It used to sit in his closet and I would always take it out, ask questions, and then he would tell me stories about his dad. It is now packed nice and secure in a metal box in my parents basement. When the rod is given to me, I would like to make a display box of it and some of the old tackle that my dad has.

From my mom's mom, I have a pair of binoculars that we gave to her for a Christmas present about 20 years ago. I still like to take them out and look at birds, because that's what she loved to do and that's what we would do when I spend the day at her house. A funny story behind the binoculars...A little before Christmas time, after we had already bought the binoculars, I was sitting with my grandma at the kitchen table looking out the window at birds in her back yard. I turned to her and said "Get the noculars so we can look closer." She said "What binoculars?". I replied with "The ones that mommy and aunt Vita bought you." (I was 4, my aunts name was Lovita, and it wasn't Christmas time so she didn't have them yet.)

What ever you decide to do with it, just make sure you share the stories that accompany the rod. Especially to youngsters because I know I always used to love the stories my parents would tell me about their parents.

Sorry for your loss.

What I would do is make a nice diaplay rack for it and hang it on my wall, but still use it occasionally. You could hang some pictures of your dad fishing up with it.

Personally, I would treat it like treasure.

I only have memories and snap shots of my father. My younger brother and sister has everything from my parents (no, not bitter, well maybe a little :roll: ).

Take care.

I took some of your sugestions. My brother an I went Fishing Saturday night. We each used our pole we got from dad, We launched our boat in the same place he did, we went to his favorite fishing spots. We used the rigs he had tied and the bait he would have used. we talked alnight about Dad and used his tricks. We shared memorys and secrets about Dad and our family. We had a great time. We could not catch catfish though, Im sure Dad was laghing at us. Thank you guys for the ideas and the experiance we had.

Dragonman said:
I took some of your sugestions. My brother an I went Fishing Saturday night. We each used our pole we got from dad, We launched our boat in the same place he did, we went to his favorite fishing spots. We used the rigs he had tied and the bait he would have used. we talked alnight about Dad and used his tricks. We shared memorys and secrets about Dad and our family. We had a great time. We could not catch catfish though, Im sure Dad was laghing at us. Thank you guys for the ideas and the experiance we had.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I have no other words to add.

Congrats on the great trip. I used some of my Dad's equipment, but it wasn't anything he really loved. Once it wore out, I just put it in the spare tackle box- just can't seem to be able to toss it. My dad wasn't a big fisherman, he only went because I wanted to. What he really likedliked was BBQ chicken. So every year on father's day or his birthday or both, I make BBQ chicken just the way he did (including blackening a piece or two :) My wife understands, the kids get to hear each year about how Grandpa used to love his BBQ!

I think everyone honors their parent in some way or another. I'm sure my kids will honor me by fishing once or twice a year. But I have only two special rods, and three kids... :roll:

wasilvers said:
Congrats on the great trip. I used some of my Dad's equipment, but it wasn't anything he really loved. Once it wore out, I just put it in the spare tackle box- just can't seem to be able to toss it. My dad wasn't a big fisherman, he only went because I wanted to. What he really likedliked was BBQ chicken. So every year on father's day or his birthday or both, I make BBQ chicken just the way he did (including blackening a piece or two :) My wife understands, the kids get to hear each year about how Grandpa used to love his BBQ!

I think everyone honors their parent in some way or another. I'm sure my kids will honor me by fishing once or twice a year. But I have only two special rods, and three kids... :roll:

Time to buy more "special gear"!

Not my father's, but my GF's brother gave me one of his father's ocean rods. It's an old bamboo rod that looks brand new! I told my GF that I would never use it as it is a memento of her father and that someday he or she may want to pass it along to the grandchildren.

Latest posts