Oh goody, another problem with the '03 Silverado

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Wife just drove back from Texas last week and now her check engine light is on. Autozone pulled the code for me and it says it is the Vent Valve/Solenoid. I didn't see the actual code number because of glare on the code machine but the tech cross referrence the number to their handy dandy code book. Anybody have an idea as to what's the best (cheapest) way to start looking? Didn't replace the gas cap but I did smear some silicone on the o-ring to help it seal better.

Great news. The wife told me that after I greased the O-ring on her gas cap with silicone and tightened it down real tight, the check engine light went out. Now she can't get the cap off cause it's on so tight, so I'll pick up a new one on the way home and all should be well.

You might find something useful here.

If getting the gas cap to seal properly appears to have fixed it, then a tip I got from my mechanic might help. He told me to turn off the engine when I get gas and not start it again until the cap had been replaced. Something about the vacume in the fuel system. Whatever was causing it, it stopped when I started doing as he said.

Every 5 key turns, your emission system will throw a test. The gas tank will pressurize to test for any vapor leaks. If the gasket on your cap is bad or the cap is not on at all, the system will not pressurize, therefore throwing a check engine light. When the light comes on, it sets a code, and makes it easier for a mechanic to route out the source of the evap leak. If the cap gets tightened or even replaced, next time your truck runs the test it will reset the light. I used to work in a dealer, and alot of people came in for this exact problem. Most never tightened thier caps, and some were ligits evap leaks.

Latest posts