What a day....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman138

Reaction score
So today I had to drive 4 hours from Suffolk, VA to Roanoke, VA. The plan was to get work done in Roanoke and then head back to Lynchburg to get as much work done as possible before staying in a hotel. At about 11am this morning, already in Roanoke mind you, I get up on the interstate and press the accelerator to get up to speed. Well the truck revs up pretty high and I take my foot off the gas when I get up to speed. Well I took my foot off the gas and nothing happened. The truck kept speeding up. My first thought was all the problems the Toyotas had and did what I thought all those drivers should have done and I put in in neutral. The truck kept revving up, but I got it over to the shoulder, put it in park and cut it off. Just to check I turned the truck back on and it revved right up. Turns out I have a few problems. One, there was a ton of slack in the throttle cable. Two, the cover, which was held together by duct tape, was coming apart and the cable caught on that when I hit the gas. Three, no one had the part anywhere so I had to get a rental vehicle to get any work done. Of course Enterprise didn't have any trucks so after 3 hours of waiting at the mechanics they bring me a cargo van. Turns out a 10ft jon boat actually fits in there.

The silver lining in all of this was that I actually got to go fishing. Since I couldn't get to 2 sites, I was able to fish at the 2nd for as long as I wanted to. I caught 5 or 6, biggest being about 3lbs on the BYOB bait I won a few months back.

I tell you what guys, the gas pedal sticking got my adrenaline pumping for a bit. While I felt in control the whole time, it was not a comfortable feeling. I hope yall will never have to experience that.

This is the 3 time my work truck has broken down in the general vicinity of Roanoke in the last 2 years. First it was the alternator and the last time my front brakes went out. Maybe 3s a charm...

Well, I'm glad that you had yer wits about ya to bring the situation to a safe ending.

Riddle me this though:

cavman138 said:
Turns out I have a few problems. One, there was a ton of slack in the throttle cable. Two, the cover, which was held together by duct tape, was coming apart and the cable caught on that when I hit the gas.
This is the 3 time my work truck has broken down in the general vicinity of Roanoke in the last 2 years. First it was the alternator and the last time my front brakes went out. Maybe 3s a charm...

Now the slack in the throttle cable I can comprehend...stuff wears out, get's loose, etc.

...BUT...

Work truck cover held together by DUCT TAPE! :shock:

Time to find a new mechanic and/or fire the fleet maintenance guy.

Geezz...duct tape. #-o

Did you buy that truck from Red Green? :LOL2: :LOL2:

Seriously....sorry for your bad luck, but glad you did get some quality time out of it without getting hurt.

Latest posts