Anyone for fishing/camping at Kentucky Lake?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
It seems like every other fishing show I watch is taped at Kentucky lake and I read numerous comentaries that mention fishing this huge body of water. This just feels like one of those lakes that I must fish before my boat or I are six feet under. I'm playing with the idea of driving down and camping at the "land between lakes" national forest area (https://www.lbl.org/). They have spots on the water area, boat launches, and most importantly - fish cleaning stations! :D

Anyone else from tinboats interested in going too? Nothing formal, no tourney or the like (unless Jim wants to), just some good company, eye candy (boats), and lots of water to fish. Thinking sometime in September or October - unless there is a better time when the fish are feeding up for the winter?

Will

I'm all over it if I can cut myself free when you go. I'm just guessing...but Quackerstacker will probably be in too. I've been wanting to get over there for more than a year to visit him and the lake too of course. :LOL2:

I've never stayed at LBL, but quite a few years ago (Apr. '05) we stayed at Moors Resort & Marina located on KY Lake, when I had my Tracker PT175. They have cottages, a lodge, and campgrounds. On-site restaurant (decent food), marina store, uncovered/covered boat slips (with electric for charging batts. Take a good extension cord with you). We rented one of the cottages (duplex) which was clean and secure, plus once you float the boat you can park your trailer where you're staying. We rented one of the covered slips and were pleaees with it. They also had a fish cleaning station near the covered boat slips. The slips were remodeled a few years ago after a tornado went through there and caused some damage. Two ramps, and you launch in a protected harbor. Thought I'd provide the link for you if you haven't already looked into it. They normally have specials running through the summer, so checkout the website.

https://www.moorsresort.com/

Thought I'd throw-in this not-to-good shot of the boat at the covered slip :)
Moors_Marina_4-27-05.JPG

Found a different view showing more of the boat slip:
TJ_on_Boat_4-28-06~0.JPG

I'll go if I can get the Bass Tracker somewhat in working order by then. I don't know how well my jon would do in that lake; is it pretty big and wide open?

I go every year with my fiances family to Ky Lake. We stay at the Moors Resort. As waterwings said its a nice and quiet place. We are actually leaving to go down there Saturday morning and will be there til Tuesday evening. The lake is huge and the waves get big. I would not take my Jon boat on it. We took my fiances brothers fish and ski last year and the waves were coming over the front of the boat while we were fishing.

BYOB Fishing said:
...is it pretty big and wide open?

Oh yeah! :shock: . One time while on KY Lake in my Tracker it got pretty rough, and I was startin' to get a little worried (actually a lot worried). Making the turn off of the main lake into the harbor was real touchy when the waves started breaking over the side of the boat. Oh, and the big boats won't cut you any slack there either. If the main lake gets too nasty, the protected harbor by the marina at Moors is pretty big though, and is plenty deep to do some fishing.

Land Between the Lakes is a great area. When I was stationed at the 101st I would go there often, mostly for off-roading. I did fish it a little. Never took it to serious. I had a rubber boat at the time and my buddy adn I would tie it off to a tree with a long rope and just drift. When we were done we would pull ourselves back in and go fish somewhere else.

Planning a family reunion down there next year. Meet the owner of Kentucky Beach Resort at the Bloomington, IL. Fish and Feather show this past year. Seems like a great guy, and a great resort. They are secluded and located on a large cove, if the main lake gets too bad, can always stay in teh cove and fish. Plus they have a pool, volleyball court, kids playground, firepits, pontoon/fishing boat rentals, free boat docks, covered with upcharge, free paddle boats and canoes to guests. On site premium gas w/o ethanol, cabins, condos, motel rooms, etc.

https://www.kentuckybeachresort.com/

I haven't been there yet, however I talked to the owner for over an hour this past week, and hte pictures make it look pretty good.

Land between the lakes is a great place... if you can try and stay at Hillman Ferry camp ground... great place, nothing commerical around...just lots of deer, some skunks and lots of other critters... Remember that Kentucky Lake is a navigable river with a lock at the dam. If you see a barge coming, go the other way... they dont look like they are making much of a wake but they really are...Stay Clear.
I would love to joing the group... keep us informed as to when.............
peace
ron

Sounds great, I'd love to go. Let me know when and I'll try to fit the trip into the schedule. I did my graduate research up at LBL, was a great way to spend two summers. The main lakes are very big and do get quite choppy, there are numerous little bays and inlets though that a jon boat would be just fine. There is also a lot to do for the family if they go, nature station, living hostory farm, elk and bison range, etc... I've attached a few teaser pics from my time up there.

Attachments

• Land Between the Lakes Summer 2006 (26).JPG
    Land Between the Lakes Summer 2006 (26).JPG
    38 KB · Views: 706
  • Land Between the Lakes Summer 2007 (79).JPG
    Land Between the Lakes Summer 2007 (79).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 706
  • Land Between the Lakes Summer 2007 (83).JPG
    Land Between the Lakes Summer 2007 (83).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 706
  • Land Between the Lakes Summer 2007 (196).JPG
    Land Between the Lakes Summer 2007 (196).JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 706
  • Land Between the Lakes November 2007 (19).JPG
    Land Between the Lakes November 2007 (19).JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 706
  • Land Between the Lakes November 2007 (27).JPG
    Land Between the Lakes November 2007 (27).JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 706
:roll: That just makes me want to go MORE! 8)

The wife is game for the trip, her sister lives a few hours from there and she'd like to visit her. I'll try to nail down a date and let you guys know.

Man I already know this is going to fall on either a weekend I already have a tourney or my anniversary. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can still make it. [-o<

Just got back from our trip. It was a blast like always! Got to fish every morning and we decided to hire a guide (The Big Kahuna) for white bass fishing on Monday morning. It was a great decision. I will make a post in the fishing reports about it with some pictures!

Man thats right in my backyard , yall let me know when this is going down. If yall need any more info I can provide whatever useless knowledge i've acquired along the way. On a side note if yall plan on doing it anytime soon its gonna be miserable camping outside 93-98 degrees daily with about 80-90% humidity :evil:

Latest posts