Tell me about Niles, MI please.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BONZAI

Reaction score
I currently live in San Diego, but have an uncle in Niles, MI.

I may have an opportunity to move there, but worried about a few things.

#1 is the school system.

#2 is jobs available.

#3 is the cost of living.

#4 is...well hows fishing been doing?

Thanks all!

You are gonna move from San Diego to Mississippi? Haw haw haw haw!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you may experience culture shock

Captain Ahab said:
You are gonna move from San Diego to Michigan? Haw haw haw haw!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you may experience culture shock

I want to.
San Diego is nice if you have a few million tucked away.
Im not too worried about weather, or culture shock (as long as I don't stumble on a KKK meeting)

There is no work here unless you have 4 masters degrees or don't mind slaving for minimum wage. And min wage won't cover rent here in the worst area.

My uncle moved from San Diego to Niles and never regret moving. His kids are grown, so it was an easy transition for him.

I am looking for a slower pace so I can enjoy life.

I'm semi familiar with the area, I'm in Saginaw on the other side of the state, but not too much difference across the state. The western side of the state seems to be a bit more stable and cleaner environment. Can't tell ya about the schools but employment is very difficult to find with the crash of the auto industry, many people are taking any job they can to stay afloat. If you can get a decent job locked down before getting there, the cost of living isn't bad at all. If I can remember whan I get to work tomorrow, we have a handy lil tool that will pull all the demographics, median income to HS grad rates.

I was not impressed with the city of Niles. I have been there several times. I cant imagine the job market is worth anything there right now, guess depends on your line of work. The culture there is not for me.

It is SW Michigan......depending on your line of work.

There are many larger cities within 60 miles.

My in laws have a place near Kalamazoo, laid back society.

Schools you can research by the school district and the states web site as far as ranking.

Thanks to all!!!

Tried to gather info to discuss it with the wife.

But the wife said Texas is the only place she will go. :fishing2:

Bugpac said:
What kinda work you do?

Im just about to finish my degree in criminal justice.

Also went to school for welding/fabrication.

My resume is close to 8 pages with the different jobs I had in the past. #-o

Niles is a descent place to live. Laid back and good fishing all around. School system is ok. I live in Niles but east of town and am in Edwardsburg schools. Blue Ribbon School system. Job market here is tough. I work for the City of Niles in the Electric Dept. Overall a good place to raise a family. Look me up if you come here and I'll take you fishing and give you the tour. SanDiego weather has to be better.

linehand said:
Niles is a descent place to live. Laid back and good fishing all around. School system is ok. I live in Niles but east of town and am in Edwardsburg schools. Blue Ribbon School system. Job market here is tough. I work for the City of Niles in the Electric Dept. Overall a good place to raise a family. Look me up if you come here and I'll take you fishing and give you the tour. SanDiego weather has to be better.

Cool deal, will do.

Latest posts