Thinning the herd

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadmeat

Reaction score
I don't know if it's a function of getting older, having worked in a morgue, or what but the more I read of this sort of thing the less sympathy I have for those who knowingly do things so incredibly stupid that they wind up getting themselves killed in the process. Warning signs were posted and they disobeyed them. I can only hope that they didn't procreate before they died and in doing so pass the stupid genes along to the next generation. My guess is that they did.
https://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/jul/20/authorities-3-swept-over-waterfall-presumed-dead/

Well, on one hand, it's a pretty sad event.

On the other hand, I think Darwin (Huxley, actually) put it best; "survival of the fittest".

If there were barriers, warning signs (in multiple languages no less), and people STILL flagrantly disobeyed the warnings...well...I guess they were aware of the potential consequences of their actions.

So...IMHO...it's not a bad thing that [strike]stupid people[/strike] those with 'less mental fitness than the average bear', get thinned from the herd.

bobberboy said:
Thing is, those people always reproduce. It doesn't take and thought or training and it's what they do best...

I'd like to think that reproduction is one of the many things I'm good at. :wink:

Thought, a little, training....well....if you count the many hours I've put in... 8)

Sorry BB....read your post and just had to. :LOL2:

We have the Fox River running through our town with a dam right down town. Numerous signs warning of the undertow - even painted lines on the concrete sides on each side below the dam, making it a violation to get any closer than 50 feet of the dam. Well, after 30 years on the job, I've seen at least 10-15 drownings of fishermen getting too close and caught in the undertow. So sad.. people are ignorant to the dangers, even when forewarned.....

azekologi said:
bobberboy said:
Thing is, those people always reproduce. It doesn't take and thought or training and it's what they do best...

I'd like to think that reproduction is one of the many things I'm good at. :wink:

Thought, a little, training....well....if you count the many hours I've put in... 8)

Sorry BB....read your post and just had to. :LOL2:

Just as long as you are not training alone :mrgreen:

You just can't fix Stupid. I have seen events liken to that mentioned with people crossing lines, jumping fences all in the name of being seen, photoed, or trying to be the group hero... It is not uncommon to see fishermen/women crossing the Bouy line below the dam at Lake ozark to fish up in the oxygenated water... really dumb..

Latest posts