Ant Repellent?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
My boat stays in the water all the time and I noticed today that there is thousands of tiny ants in it. There isn't any regular food in it just some water and leaves.

Researching on the net I find recommendations for spices, herbs, baby powder etc. Has anyone tried anything like that and had any success?

I'd like to stay away from chemicals if possible.

Thanks

I know you dont want chemicals but if you decide to go that route, try the Ortho Home Defence Max. We had a billion little tiny ants coming in the house. Tried every ant rememdy in the world and nothing kept them out. Sprayed the perimeter of the house with the Ortho and havnt seen an ant since. They claim it lasts 12 months. We'll see. Its been about a month so far.

Captain Ahab said:
diatomaceous earth will get them and is 100% non-toxic

2x - We're 99% chemical free @ home and use diatomaceous earth ("DE") to control ants all the time.

Oh! :shock:
MY!! :shock: :shock:
GOD!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's twice in LESS THAN one week that I've agreed w/ Ahab! https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21105&p=215528#p215528

What's this world coming to! His plan IS working! He's corrupting me! Can't we just ban him and get it over with already? Jeeeezzzz! :mrgreen:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21105&p=215528#p215528

Diatomaceous earth is a fine powder that kills ants by pulling all the moisture from their bodies. Since it works by absorbing moisture from the ant itself, however, it's best used in dry environments. You also don't want anyone (pets included) sniffing it up.

Salt works just fine as well, and you can spread it in a damp or wet environment. A little bleach in solution (1-2%) used to clean the inside of the boat should also help discourage them.

Wonder why there going on your boat?
I remember reading something about electroylis(I think I do) and how it can attact some insects.
I wonder if theres any stray current around your boat.
Not much help on the ants...maybe small ant traps(alot of them)

Zum said:
Wonder why there going on your boat?
I remember reading something about electroylis(I think I do) and how it can attact some insects.
I wonder if theres any stray current around your boat.
Not much help on the ants...maybe small ant traps(alot of them)

Only thing I can think of is the moisture and the dead leaves in it. You would think the middle of summer there wouldn't be any leaves but the boat seems to be a magnet for them.

Also read somewhere that the little ants are attracted to a fungus.

Latest posts