Heat,dogs,fishing...warning

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassGeek54

Reaction score
There may be a lot of you that already know about this but I did not and it was nearly a tragedy last Sunday.

You may already know that my Corgi is my best friend. He follows me everywhere and is always by my side if he can be. So Sunday I wanted to go out fishing for a while and I felt bad leaving him behind so I took him along. We have been having a severe heat wave as a lot of you in other parts of the country. We took water along and kept him in the shade but he was still panting very heavily and drooling a lot. My wife was also trying to cool him off with an ice pack thing we brought along. After about 2 hours I was getting really worried about him so we left and we put the AC on high in the car on the way home. He seemed to get cooled off and be better. Monday he was pretty lethargic but we didn't think about it too much. Tuesday morning he started throwing up, which he never does, and the last of it was pinkish. Now I was really worried. We called the vet and they told us that he may have well suffered a heat stroke and we needed to get him in right away. They were concerned about organ damage. They told us he was dehydrated and that drinking wouldn't help he needed to be on an IV. They set that up and took some blood to run some test. Needless to say I did not sleep that night. On Wednesday morning the vet called and said that the blood test came back and there was no sign of organ damage and that he was OK. They said he may have had a heat stroke but was lucky and sufered no damage. Evidently dogs, especially dual coat dogs, can suffer heat stroke very quickly in hot weather. They cannot cope with the heat as well as humans.

I just wanted to let everyone know. I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone...to think that you could hurt your best friend that way. I didn't know and I figure maybe this could help someone else. Sorry for the long post.

Sorry to hear about it BG. I was hoping the end of your story would have good news.

Glad it did.

Hope it helps someone and their dog!

Glad it turned out good, but you should have never taken your buddy fishing in that kind of heat, jmo. My boxer pants like crazy when I take her out to do her business, we head right back in for the AC.

My beagle had that happen when I was a little guy, had him on the porch in the shade drinking water when I found him but he spent the night at the vets on an IV. He barfed the water up at the office and the vet said that was a good sign #-o

Jamie

Latest posts