I'm physically SICK!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
Guys....on July 23rd, I was out fishing and my motor ceased up. It's a Mercury 225 jet. I bought it with my boat just over a year ago. I just got some info on repair this morning and it's looking like it will cost me over $7000 to repair it. If that's the case...I'm probably going to be without a boat.

I'm still waiting on details as this is only what they expect. They've not actually even tore into it yet.

Did I mention that I'm physically sick?

This past year + has been the best of my life and it just came to a screeching hault!

****!

did you contact your insurance co?
My motor is covered might be worth a shot

sorry to hear about this

Nope...no go. At least through American Family. Looks like I'm SOL but still waiting for the shop to call me back.

fender66 said:
Nope...no warranty. Bought it from an individual, used.

Ah, the old used, buyer beware thing. I'm going through a similar situation on my fiberglass boat. Just after purchasing it, I needed a new trailer. I've been battling the motor ever since although it ran good on the sea trial.

That's the reason I stick with smaller boats. Bigger boats equate to bigger bills.

Good luck.

$7000? is somebody smoking some good stuff? Are they talking a complete powerhead? I would bet money you could find a rebuilt powerhead for MUCH less than that. For instance, https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCURY-OUTBOARDS-OPTIMAX-POWERHEADS-150175-200-225-250-/160628892475?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item25663a633b

Sorry to hear about your motor. Do you have any idea what causes it to blow? I've mostly built smaller motor 2-3 cylinders but $7000 sounds like a brand new drop on powerhead. I think you'll be able to get your boat running for less though.
Good luck hope things get better.

Thanks guys.....I'm still crying and not sure what I'm going to do. I am calling around to see what my options are.

That sucks Fender. I feel for you. My boat is in the shop right now and I'm dreading the phone call to tell me what is wrong.

bulldog said:
That sucks Fender. I feel for you. My boat is in the shop right now and I'm dreading the phone call to tell me what is wrong.

Let me know if you want to get together and cry over some spilled milk. I could use the company. :(