Whys my engine ticking?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BONZAI

Reaction score
'94 Nissan hardbody.
Never made this noise before.
Oil is fine, and fresh.
190,000 miles.

Just moved it from the driveway to the street and a light ticking noise is bothering me.

What could it be?

I don't abuse the truck, or drive it often, kind of weird.

You need to probe around the motor with a stethascope to narrow it down. Holding a long screwdriver to your ear will work too. Note the rpm/frequency of the noise related to piston travel. Noise the same may lean towards piston or bearing, twice the speed usually in the valves.

Thanks.

I remember it did it before, about 6 months ago, but it went away.
I blamed it on cheap gas, and upgraded octane next fill up.

Now its back.

IDK...
Its funny.
Almost liked Im cursed.
Every time I put it up for sale, it starts acting up.
I will bet a few drinks, if I take the all the ads and signs down, it won't make the noise.

Is it ticking when cold, hot or both?

I had a 1989 Pathfinder with a V6 that I bought used and it always had a ticking noise when cold and it went away when it warmed up. I bought it used and beat the tar out of it before trading it in on a new Toyota pickup.

I found out my exhaust manifolds didn't have any gaskets where it mated with the head. Apparently after it heated up the sound went away because the metals expanded and closed up the gap. I made sure the motor was hot when I traded it in. :lol:

I went out after I posted earlier.

Ticks at idle, ticks faster when reved up.

I got on the freeway and got it up to 6000 rpms in 2nd gear, then 5000 in 3rd.

Next exit still ticking.

Pulled in a gas station and checked the noise. Seems to be comming from the valve cover.

Drove away then the noise is gone.

WTF??? #-o

sounds to me like a lifter tick, esp if you dont drive it too often it will develpe this if you are intending to sell this i would drive it a lil more often, it may go away, but in all likelyhood the lifter needs to be replaced, i have never had any luck with any engine miracle cures, engine treatments, but i have used stp " motor honey" additive with some luck, hope this helps

At around 150k miles my old jeep's 4.0 inline 6 got a tick, i started looking around the web and at different jeep forums and a few guys suggest messing with different oil types and weight's. I finally found one that worked and the tick went a way. I also ran seafoam through it and did the oil change after 200 miles.. could have been a couple of things. But i sold it with no tick..

SEAFOAM!

Read the directions on teh can. Your truck will smoke like mad for 20 minutes or so, however it should free up that sticking valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRAV5ln5cUc&feature=related

I put the flee collar on the air filter and it stopped!

Thanks for that tip....

But really, it stopped long enough for me to sell it!

Thanks all.

Latest posts