I need your opinion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallijig

Reaction score
Here's the scoop:
I have opportunity to get a 2000 16' tracker with a 90 hp mercury setup like a lund pro vee. The boat has under 100 hrs on it. Doubt it went thru 3 tanks of fuel. A belonged to a friend dad, I was able to borrow it when ever I needed For about 4 yrs I used it 4-5 times every summer. Fishing was not his cup of tea so he only went a few times those times I took him out in it. I took care of the winterization on it every yr. Also got it fired up every yr in spring ready for water. But being someone elses I hated to have something happen to it when I was using it. So decided to get boat of my own. Last 4-5 yrs. boat did not see a lake. We put cups on it every summer & run it, plus I changed the lower lube to keep it fresh, even yrs. not used. My friends dad passed away about 2 yrs. ago. They called & said they would like me to have it at very unbelievable price.

Here's my delema:
I just got my 1950's 14' boat fixed the way I like it. Just had couple little plans for it to tweek a couple things to make them little better. I have had 2 great seasons memories fishing in it with friends & family, great success catching fish also. Plus I can get it in most any body of water I wish, which contributed to my success.. After I spent day cleaning & fixing little things up on boat to back up the way it was when I finished it last yr. I am having second thoughts now. I have had a great season last yr. & this year & hate to see it go. I do not know what to do now.

The other boat is described as above.
Cons: It is bigger & not to be loaded on some of the waters I fish. I can not just wheel it in my back yard when not using it. I would have to do some improvements to fit my type of fishing. ie new trolling motor & electronics
Pros: I am very comfortable fishing out of also. with alot of great memories fishing with him also. Is that it has live well, lot more room, bigger motor, & biggest pro is that Mrs said if I got it "she would come with me to the lake more". She does not want to "sit in that little boat". But knowing her she is not much of outdoor person & may not last for long. did I say cheap.

I would keep both, but do not have room for 2 boats. Just think one would stay parked all the time & not use it much if any.
I would really be happy if mrs. would like to spend more time out on lake then sit at home.

I just do not know what to do?
What would you do?
what would it take for you to get rid of your rig you just got fixed up the way you like it?

I would take the tracker from your friends dad.

Only for the memories and because you already know the history of it.

The other boat seems to be the go to boat.

You put in the wrench time. That being said, the experience of modifications would be nice to merge the 2 together.

Maybe you can sell the one you already have, and put the money into the tracker?

Good luck.
Wish I had those kind of problems. :mrgreen:

Get the tracker.

Sell to or store at one of the friends or family members house that has been on the older boat with you. That way you get to keep it close. :mrgreen:

Here's what tracker boat is like but with dual consoles;
Pro-Guide-V-16-SC_img6437_900.jpg

Get the boat! You wont regret it I bet. I like space when fishing hence why I got my smaller 16 tracker that is 6' wide

I would pick up the tracker and have 2 boats for a bit. Becarefull you dont ruffle any feathers when you sell it, 1) with the former owners family and 2) with the wife cause you got it to spent time with her.

Maybe a third option here, sell both boats and get what you REALLY want bigger, more power, more room, ect. Good luck in what you decide im sure it will be the right decision.

Keeping one boat, would you miss fishing the waters the Tracker would prevent you from fishing enough to that you would regret getting it? If you plan on selling it, I would pass on it entirely. I prefer a larger boat myself so taking the Tracker deal would be a no brainer, especially if selling the smaller boat would cover the purchase price of the Tracker.

If you can find a place to store one of the boats for a season or 2 you could see how the useage pattern plays out and make an informed decision about which to keep and which to sell. Perhaps you could leave the tracker where it is for that time or work out a lease/purchase option on the tracker for a season to "see how it fits into your life".

But if you have to choose, I'd keep the one that is the most versitile and fits my style of fishing best. For me it would be your old faithful '50s rig. 8)

DocWatson said:
If you can find a place to store one of the boats for a season or 2 you could see how the useage pattern plays out and make an informed decision about which to keep and which to sell. Perhaps you could leave the tracker where it is for that time or work out a lease/purchase option on the tracker for a season to "see how it fits into your life".

But if you have to choose, I'd keep the one that is the most versitile and fits my style of fishing best. For me it would be your old faithful '50s rig. 8)

I agree with DocWatson. I just sold my Polar Kraft 168SC with a 90 hp Yamaha. It is very similar to the Tracker you are looking at and replaced it with an Alumacraft 1648 MV. When we lived in Indiana there were a bunch of lakes close to us that weren't restricted (10HP or total electric), and we fished every weekend the weather allowed. Once we moved to Georgia we had to tow an hour and a half each way to fish in the Polar Kraft, or 10 minutes with an electric. So we put together the 1648 and are back to fishing every weekend. Sold the 168 7 months later. Like DocWatson said you need to figure out which boat best fits into you life.

Attachments

• 041011 006a.jpg
    041011 006a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 962
  • Polar Kraft 168SC.jpg
    Polar Kraft 168SC.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 962
Go with that which your wife and you can spend more time together in. My wife just doesn't like anything much to do with water sprots and i am jealous of couples I see out fishing.
good luck

freetofish said:
Go with that which your wife and you can spend more time together in. My wife just doesn't like anything much to do with water sprots and i am jealous of couples I see out fishing.
good luck

This is way I feel. I would give up hitting some of my favorite lakes & drive farther if needed to fish, if mrs. would come with me more.
I am leaning toward Tracker now. If she does not end up coming with me I have a boat worth alot more I could sell it & fix up another smaller one very nice and money to spare.

Well here's new rig: It has been in farmers shed collecting bird droppings, took about 4 hrs. but cleaned up real well. :D :D
Photo1682.jpg
Photo1691.jpg
Photo1671.jpg

Well not turning back now. I sold my 14' boat at asking price. Elderly couple from SD got it for taking down south to Texas for winter.

The new one I got I been having to do quite a bit of work. I got the exterior stuff cleaned good, but I got home, put it in garage overnight, next morning I could not believe how mousey smell in garage. So I stripped boat of all interior, washed & deodorized entire area under wood. I got over 5 gal pail of mouse nests & easy gallon of mouse droppings. Not to mention all the grain hulls.
It's been in garage to hot days now & a hint of mouse odor. What was nice is I got to inspect all the wiring to see if there was any damage. which there was not fortunately.

I should have taken before pictures but here's one of when I was putting it back together:
That whole area were there is no foam was packed full of mouse nests, plus upfront area too.
I was like a mouse condo. I did not find any live mice though, 4 skeletons.

Photo178.jpg

Latest posts