Started school...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdan

Reaction score
Hey fellow tinboaters.... after what seems like an eternity, I finally got my crap together and started school for marine mechanics. Granted, only been there 2 days, but the class looks to be very promising. It will be about a year and a 1/2 before we finish, and today we were assigned the first motor in which we will completely disassemble and put back together. I lucked out and got a 2003 merc 25 2 stroke.... it happens to be the same model as I have on my aluminum boat.... SO I should know it in and out within the next few weeks....

Look forward to sharing whatever I learn with you guys....

Danny

we will learn pretty much everything about motors... that includes all components, including tilt and trim, fuel, electric, etc. We are strting with 2 strokes, woring into four strokes. We have 2 brand new 25 etecs as well as a 2011 250 etec to play with as well as several late 200o's model mercs, johnsons and yamahas.

We also get to service the DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) as well as a few of FWC's (Florida Wildlife Commission) boats, so we get our hands on some great newer motors to tinker with.

Ahab, I will be around.... often Im lurking more than posting, but even my lurking time will be minimal now with school full time and work full time, plus a growing and demanding family. But I will chime in as I learn more which will come day by day.

Thanks for all the well wishes...

Danny

HEY GUYS AND GALS.... BEEN BUSY THE LAST WEEK... TOOK OUR FIRST TEST, SCORED A 94, HIGHEST IN CLASS.... THINGS ARE ON THE UP AND UP.... ALSO DISASSEMBLED A SMALL JOHNSON DOWN TO NOTHING.... NEXT WEEK IS GETTING IT BACK TOGETHER AND FIRING HER UP.... AMAZING TO SEE HOW MUCH ENGINEERING GOES INTO THESE MOTORS AND HOW SIMPLE YET COMPLEX THEY ARE... AND TO THINK THIS TECHNOLOGY WAS THOUGHT OF A HUNDRED YEARS AGO....

congrats!

not much has changed over the years, until fuel injection. However the internals are still the same.

Latest posts