Craigs list worth the spam sent?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallijig

Reaction score
Wondering if Craig's list is worth the hassle?
I posted add on Craig's list to sell my small boat. Seems get alot of scam e-mails trying to get info. ie: offers to good to refuse or them referring to boat as item, & wanting paypal account #'s, & one asking me to click on link wondering if I double posted item with addresses that looks like craig's list page but have different dot phrase at end.
Got a couple that seemed legit, I replied to, but no responce wondering if they were scams also.

I love craigslist, but what I do is post my phone number, I know thats probably not hte best thing to do, but I haven't gotten any weird calls. I'm sure it's bound to happen, but not yet. It's hard to find a place that you can list something for free, and actually expect it to sell. I say take the good with the bad.

For things like Craigslist, Ebay, and almost any online form I fill out that's sure to generate a flood of junk mail I set up a disposable email address rather than giving out the one I use for everything else. Once the transaction is completed I just let the spam accumulate in the junk email address and never look at it again except to delete everything in it occasionally.

i have had some nightmares with c/l but i do sell a bit of stuff with it so i think its worth the hassel but it does get spooky sometimes, i like e bay classifieds personally

It is worth the hassel, as stated above.. with most free things you get people phishing for info and you just have to know what spam and whats real..

8 years ago (or so) i had a computer tower for sale on there for $400.00, some guy offered to send me a check for "Extra". I was supposed to deposit the check and keep the asking amount and shipping then get a cashiers check for the remainder and send him the cashiers check and the tower.. I got the check for $2500.00 from some wierd online bank.. never did deposit it. I turned in the check and printed emails to my local USPS for fraud.

Wow! Are there really people that are that gullible/STUPID that they would do that? Wait, my Grandmother would do something like that, I can just hear her now "Well Mikey, maybe this poor man is in a wheelchair, and doesn't have anyone to take care of him or take him to the bank". Ok, yeah, nevermind, theres gullible people out there...

Craigslist is great! I do get spam responces, but I reply to them to send me their phone number. No phone, no deal. Always deal in strait cash. On my larger sales I have had the buyer go with me to the bank to make the deposit. In the last 5 years I have sold over $16,000 on CL. A truck and boat and furnature were my big sales. It works alot better than paid for ads in my opinion.

Actually I haven't had NO problems yet :D

I don't use my email anymore from the fear of spam, but when I did I actually had a few ndividuals "help me out".

I just use my phone contact now, and people will but anything #-o

Sold and bought a bunch of stuff on Craig's list. A good spam filter is all you need.

I did get a phone call this week when I had my kayak for sale. I was driving so my son answered it and the caller asked for the owner of the phone. My son used his most professional government job voice and they hung up. :lol:

I created a separate e-mail just for craigslist, and when I am not selling anything, I just go on once a week and check all e-mails and delete my entire inbox.

I just ad a disclaimer to the bottom of the ad, something like 'I don't need any loans or help finding a job, please ensure your mother or wife apporves this purchase before emailing back and do NOT text me, emails are fine'.

Seems to work well enough.

Lately I've been getting lots of Youtube invites which is wierd, got one today from some guy selling lake weed scithes.

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
Lately I've been getting lots of Youtube invites which is wierd, got one today from some guy selling lake weed scithes.

Jamie
Haha wtf? Are you supposed to swing it under water???

Latest posts