fillet carp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatboat

Reaction score
does anyone have an idea how to fillet carp and get the bones out .ive looked on line without much success . i 've eaten all kinds of fish but never a carp so...i want to try cookin' it a few different ways thanks for any info

Dammit Jim, I watched the post of how to clean a carp, then my "internet ADD" kicked in. I just watched 84 videos of how to clean what has to be every fish species known to man.

You don't fillet carp you "score it". The bones are left in and cut up small enough that they cook away.

I've always started at the tail and go underneath the scales leaving the skin on.

Then you remove the slab of meat leaving the ribs on the fish.

Finally take your fillet and lay it skin side down and make a series of parallel cuts 3/8 inch or so apart down to the skin. ( see very bad example pic)

Around here it is deep fried with a beer batter and called polk county shrimp. It will curl up when fried and you don't eat the skin. Very tasty.

My mom used to "can" the fillets and use them for fish patties.

Also I watched a show where a chef in chicago took asian carp and made a fish patty out of it and called it shanghai bass.

Or were you talking about other ways than this to prepare it?

I also should say I use this for regular carp. I don't know if you can prepare asian carp the same way.

parkerdog said:
Also I watched a show where a chef in chicago took asian carp and made a fish patty out of it and called it shanghai bass.

Is this the same restaurant that had the fish as carp on the menu but no one ordered it until they changed it to Shanghai bass?

Most people here can't wait to rid the lakes of this species. We actually caught two carps in the Eastern Sierras last month. We left them on the banks for the local animals.

nomowork said:
parkerdog said:

Is this the same restaurant that had the fish as carp on the menu but no one ordered it until they changed it to Shanghai bass?

Most people here can't wait to rid the lakes of this species. We actually caught two carps in the Eastern Sierras last month. We left them on the banks for the local animals.

Sounds like the same place. I don't remember what show it was though maybe some news show?

Latest posts