Title(s) for Motor(s)???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
Here's a scenario that I'll be faced with soon. How does this work?

I blew my motor. I want to repower it with a different power head ONLY, but it will most likely NOT match the power head that I blew.

So....if I have a title for the blown motor, and then another title for the replacement motor....and I'm using parts from both.....which title is the correct one?

What do I have to do to keep all this straight?

I would think you would use the one for the block, it should be the only thing with numbers on it, i don't think their are numbers anywhere else on a boat motor but i may be wrong, but i know with cars and bikes that if there are multiple places with different numbers you have to have a title for both, an example would be you took bike A and put bike B's motor in you would have two titles but if you fixed bike A's motor with parts from bike B and kept the block the same you would only have the title for bike A

I would go with the title for the old motor it's already in your name.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Oh..I agree with that if I keep it...but what do you do when you sell it? My title would be for something that the motor is not.

fender66 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Oh..I agree with that if I keep it...but what do you do when you sell it? My title would be for something that the motor is not.
The power head is just a part of an outboard motor. If you bought a car just to pull the motor to put it in a different car then you sold the car with the newer motor would you give the buyer both titles?

lckstckn2smknbrls, if you did not take it to dmv and have a new title made for it yes you would have to sell the car with both titles, the vin on a car is in multiple spots, the block of the motor being just one of the places numbers so when you place a new motor in it the numbers don't match and you have to have a title for for the motor, it can be fixed with a special build title but thats about it for a car if you want to stay legal

Chris, here's my 2cents worth. If I were you I would call the Dept. of Revenue,In Jeff City,and pose the question to them. I wouldn't call a Fee Office,as they probabaly don't know the answer and would have to call Jeff anyway. That is what I would do if it were me.

79Stroker said:
lckstckn2smknbrls, if you did not take it to dmv and have a new title made for it yes you would have to sell the car with both titles, the vin on a car is in multiple spots, the block of the motor being just one of the places numbers so when you place a new motor in it the numbers don't match and you have to have a title for for the motor, it can be fixed with a special build title but thats about it for a car if you want to stay legal
There maybe additional numbers on a car but the only one that counts is the one "star riveted" to the cowling.

i aint looking to get in a pissing match with but a thing to remember is we are in different states, i rebuild old Harley's and when a new engine is put in, the numbers on the frame and engine don't match, when stopped on the side of the road cops tend to look at the numbers to see if they match, same goes during a state inspection,(they do all this looking for stolen motors or frames, and sometimes just to hassle with you) when a new motor is put in all you have to do is go to the dmv and get a special build title combining everything

And i totally agree with S&MFISH instead of getting mess-led here a quick call would save a lot of hassle in the end

Not to sound like a jerk or anything there Stroker, but I was a State Inspector for 9yrs and I was never required by the Highway Patrol to match engine #s with VINs as part of any type of vehicle inspection,auto or motorcycle. I watch the guy who inspects my vehicles today,and he has never checked a motor # against a VIN on anything I've taken to him. That hasn't been done in Mo for decades. I had my license from '81-'90. I also know a Brown Suit, and he has never said anything about matching the #s. My opion in regards to Chris' question would be that-if the parts of the engine that had the ID # were not changed then you should be able to go with what you have. But a check with the DOR would be in order to be sure.

Looking at the state inspection process you are right its not required for them to look and verify the vins, so it is probable just my inspection center (they have taken pictures of both vins before), so i will eat some crow on that

there's almost no enforcement of any kind up here.you need a competency card to operate a motorized watercraft, but ive never seen anyone get a ticket.no trailer inspection is needed to register one,even if you say its homebuilt.no motor title.i've heard you need to reg. a boat if its over 14' or 10 hp. but ive never done it. i bought mine new,no reg. papers. insurance is optional on the boat,but not the trailer,although iv'e never been asked to show my boat trailer papers,ever. iv'e seen cops checking for boat safety equipment once about 20 years ago.

Different on my coast.
Trailer has to be inspected and registered.
If you have a 10hp or above motor on your boat it supposed to be licenced.(boat)
I did get the papers to do it a few years ago but never bothered to put the numbers on.
Motors need nothing.
I did get my pleasure craft card though:)
I only seen DFO once(on freshwater) in over 20+ years of boating and that was at a tournament.
Saltwater I've seen them jump aboard us,they didn't want us to stop...some type of training with their zodiac.