River art? Shakespeare 1905 Model FK river find

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranchero50

Reaction score
Maybe not the right subforum but I thought more folks would see this here.

Went fishing yesterday with the oldest, shot some video of the boat playing around and then we went up through the shallows to a quarry area, one huge flat rock face underwater that the boy wanted to go swimming in 3-5' of water. So while he's swimming I'm fishing, he's picking up trash and I'm looking for lures etc. (I wish I had a dollar for every tube or fluke on the bottom)...

About the time I saw this aluminum flashlight on the bottom he pulled up the reel... The reel was prety crusty with mud, sand and some rust, even had the old woven fishing line still on it.
DSC01079.jpg

So today I chipped away at the rust with a dental pick and took the cover off. Sand and mud...
DSC01080.jpg

Continued cleaning it with nothing more aggressive than warm soaky water and the pick and got it most of the way apart. Remarkably the parts moved once free of the rust.
DSC01081.jpg

The line guide was pretty frozen though...
DSC01082.jpg

So I set up a little electrolosis vat to derust it and an hour later...
DSC01083.jpg

It's all apart. I oiled it to prevent flash rust and I'm going to clean up the rest of the parts. Most of the chrome has washed away but there is remarkably little real rust. The spool fell apart but it doesn't look like it was made heavy back in the day.
DSC01084.jpg

Not too sure what I'll do with it, probably turn it into fishing room art. I'm not sure why it was tossed either, the handle was unscrewed, not broken off and it has the old style line still on. The only date I found for this reel was 1951 so any help dating it or the line would be helpful. I wonder how long it's been in the water? Pretty cool find either way.

Jamie

super cool find, that would look sweet in a shadow box with some other old fixing stuff