Time to ponder...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranchero50

Reaction score
I remembered this morning that there is going to be a little boy turning 6 today thanks to me. Hard to believe it’s been that long...

Sept 17 2005 I got off work at 7am after a twelve hour shift and went home to tinker in my garage before a nap. I was working on the stern drive of the old glass boat I had but ran out of steam before I had the drive completely off. So since the trailer tongue was hanging out the garage door I decided to just close my sliding security gate down by the alley. I had a white car trailer made out of an old single post lift sitting down there, the tongue was sitting on a couple chunks of wood stacked up.

I remember looking down at the wood and think that it didn't look the same as when I had last seen it and noticed a set of tiny fingers underneigth. At first I thought it was a possum but after a double take realized it was a baby. I knelt down and moved the wood and there was a perfect little boy covered in dirt and blood with grass in his mouth. I scooped him up, touched my lips to his forhead to check his temp and he was cool, then took him across the street to the neighbors place since there daughter was a EMT since no one was at home except me.

Seems wierd remembering the funny looks I got when I said over and over again that I'd just found a live baby under my car trailer. To the neighbor, her husband, daughter, EMT's when they showed, then later to the cops, wife and finally the big city news people in the evening. One of the best and worst days of my life so far.

Jamie

I'm glad you were able to save him. It's makes me sad to think that someone would rather let their child die cold and alone, then just give them up for adoption. Something had to be seriously messed up in that woman's life for her to do that.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. The rest of the story, mom had some mental issues, hid the pregnancy from the boyfriend / dad, stole some pain meds from the nursing home where she worked as a nurse assistant, dosed herself up once the boyfirend went to bed and had a baby on the couch in the house across the alley where they rented.

Baby turned out ok, Mom went to jail for four years, Boyfriend kept mom, eventually got the baby and created a family. I saw the little guy when he was around 3, a Mennonite family took him once released from the hospital, good looking little guy. Dad didn't want the Mennonite influence on his kid so him, mom and the boy ended up in a trailer park on the North end of town last I heard.

All that crossed my mind that morning was what if I just went to bed after work, what if it hadn't been warmer than normal out. What if I had found him a few days later or the dogs did, or some little kids did. I was really dopy from being up all night, finger tips tingling sort of tired only night shift guys can really appreciate. It was all a bit sureal, almost a dream when it happened.

While waiting for the ambulance to arrive I wanted a picture of me and the baby but the neighbor daughter couldn't figure out the camera. Her mom got a towel and warm wet wash clothe to ckean out the babies mouth and face. I remember when I first picked him up naked with a bit of umbilical cord still attached that he looked into my eyes and I saw recognition. He was pink and dirty and cool to the touch.

The ambulance showed up a couple minutes later and the medic about took me along in the rush to get the baby to the hospital. A bit of humor but I was like 'Hey, I need my arm back'. Behind the ambulance was an unmarked police car with two detectives. We went down to the trailer as the ambulance left and moved it to find more umbilical cord and a lot of tissue paper.