Here is something you do not see everyday

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ditchen

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum, mods please move if is not the correct spot.

Caught this yesterday evening; does this count for 2 or 1 fish :shock:

lamperay.jpg

BassAddict said:
LOL nice, did you take that leach off him before u released him?

Lamprey isn't it? I didn't realize they were in the great lakes till I did a little looking around at a couple of sites.

Makes me think of zombies.. Brains! I need Brains! come here mister bass!

BassAddict said:
all i know is that thing would of made for some great bait!!!!!

That is exactly what I was thinking! I'm sure a large bass would have loved to make a meal out of that!

BassAddict said:

I did not. Had the wife and daughter with me. They were hitting me with do you take a toad from a snake,, do you take the fresh caught prey from a fox, or coyote. Do you take a fresh caught fish from an eagle? It is nature,, catch and release as it is. They also gave me the balance of nature stuff... what do ya do.

If that eel was on the invasive specious list I would have trumped their thinking and discarded it. But they are not, so I gave in with them, let nature take it's course.

ditchen said:
BassAddict said:

I did not. Had the wife and daughter with me. They were hitting me with do you take a toad from a snake,, do you take the fresh caught prey from a fox, or coyote. Do you take a fresh caught fish from an eagle? It is nature,, catch and release as it is. They also gave me the balance of nature stuff... what do ya do.

If that eel was on the invasive specious list I would have trumped their thinking and discarded it. But they are not, so I gave in with them, let nature take it's course.

Taken from the wikipedia:

Sea lampreys have become a major plague in the North American Great Lakes after artificial canals allowed their entry during the early 20th century. They are considered an invasive species, have no natural enemies in the lakes and prey on many species of commercial value, such as lake trout. Lampreys are now found mostly in the streams that feed the lakes, with special barriers to prevent the upstream movement of adults, or by the application of toxicants called lampricides, which are harmless to most other aquatic species. However those programs are complicated and expensive, and do not eradicate the lampreys from the lakes but merely keep them in check. New programs are being developed including the use of chemically sterilized male lamprey in a method akin to the sterile insect technique. Research currently under way on the use of pheromones and how they may be used to disrupt the life cycle (Sorensen, et al., 2005) has met with some success.[19] Control of sea lampreys in the Great Lakes is conducted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans. The work is coordinated by the Great Lakes Fishery Commission.

Latest posts