Surf Rod holder for my truck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about building this for the back of my silverado to hold my 10-11 foot surf rods. Looks simple enough to make. My question is how do you think he mounted the tubes?

pvctruckrodrack1.jpg

pvctruckrodrack2.jpg

Looks like he has them bolted on to me. You can see the ends of the bolts across the top behind every tube. I don't know if those are store bought tubes or not, might be because they look flared but the ones in gander mountain and bass pro have holes drilled though the tubes one hole being bigger to allow the head of bolt to pass through.

Wonder if the bottom pvc is filled with sand or something because I don't see it fastened to the truck. Seems like it would blow over in the wind while driving or are those only used once you get someplace as a rod holder?

Ya it looks like a hole drilled through them, you could drill a hole in one side of the pvc rod holder and use a snake to get the bolt in the hole that way the rod holder does not have any obstructions running through the middle of it

agree they look like they are bolted on. Just drill a hole large enough for the bolt/screw to go thru on one side and a smaller hole just large enough for the threaded portion of the bolt/screw on the opposite side, and you have access to tighten it up. Guess you could bungee the rack in the bed of the truck. I have seen rod holders attached to the front/rear bumpers of truck while over at the beach this past May. Seems to be a big thing over there for the surfer fishers. They even have little pull carts similar to what used to be used for garbage cans before the cans came with wheels carry all your tackle/gear to the beach

We call PVC piping adult tinker toys!

I made a small pole holder for the bed of my truck (for one day lake, ocean and surf fishing trips) that can be converted to a pole holder for inside of the SUV for our extended trout fishing trips.

Latest posts